It's an ill wind...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A couple of weeks ago I broke our log splitter. It was ten years old and had received a heck of a workout. One of the guide rods snapped and the hydraulic ram bent under strain.
Broken splitter by English Countrylife, on Flickr

I could get spare parts but parts prices alone were half the original cost of the unit & fitting a replacement ram under spring tension and getting the seals right us not simple. Not too upset as we’ve had ten years hard use out of it. Given we are doing a lot of big stuff nowadays we have upgraded to an 11 ton vertical splitter - it’s a beast!
11 ton splitter by English Countrylife, on Flickr

First impressions are that it’s not a tool for occasional users or first timers. It weighs 175 kilos and needs transport wheels and with the ram in operation it’s eight foot tall! However it goes straight through gnarled and twisted grain from crowns, crotches and side limbs. Overall, I think it will get through the backlog!

Wood yard by English Countrylife, on Flickr

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE