Making a sling for a Woodlore neck sheath (picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Threadomancy!

I often get PMs about this thread and after the last one I thought that these images of the sling in use might be useful for some. :)

CRW_2110.jpg

img_2103_1.jpg

Feb 2, 2022
Belgium
Hello to all,

I’m new on the forum and looking in to all the threads. A wonderfull forum.

I prefer a neck/ shoulder hanging carry for my knife around the “camp” with tasks like cooking, prepping, little woodwork,… and canoeing. I find it also a more subtle carrying option overall…

I was looking for instructions for setting up the Ray Mears Woodlore Neck sheath with Paracord and firesteel as it is a sturdier carry than the “Mors-style” carry.

I can probably improvise a bit, but the proper instructions should help out.

The older thread has “non working” links.

Anyone with the instructions? Or even a background for Ray Mears’ choice in this kind of knife sheath?

Cheers to all,

Mickey from across The Pond, Belgium.

Reactions: Kron
Feb 2, 2022
Belgium
Hello to all,

I’m new on the forum and looking in to all the threads. A wonderfull forum.

I prefer a neck/ shoulder hanging carry for my knife around the “camp” with tasks like cooking, prepping, little woodwork,… and canoeing. I find it also a more subtle carrying option overall…

I was looking for instructions for setting up the Ray Mears Woodlore Neck sheath with Paracord and firesteel as it is a sturdier carry than the “Mors-style” carry.

I can probably improvise a bit, but the proper instructions should help out.

The older thread has “non working” links.

Anyone with the instructions? Or even a background for Ray Mears’ choice in this kind of knife sheath?

Cheers to all,

Mickey from across The Pond, Belgium.
Well —> when googling .. the first post was dismissed it seems…. So I have the instructions, some pictures would be nice. And offcourse a backstory is always fun…

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Nice :) What's that cord called, JonathanD? Looks broad enough to be more more comfortable than paracord or static line

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It’s tarp ridgeline. I have tried thinner paracord, but it’s no where near as comfortable. With just a thin shirt, the thinner stuff can cut into you and be annoying.

Reactions: Billy-o

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
Hi Mickey, and welcome to the forum.
Sandbender was last seen on this forum on May 5, 2017, so he might not answer you right away.

However......the original post was also posted on the old British Blades forum (I really miss that forum !!). I have a pdf file of the post from BB, including photos and everything in the original first post.
Send me a PM with your email address, and I can send you the pdf file if you want?

Ray Mears speak of this kind of carry in one of the old "Extreme Survival" videos. The one on New Zealand I think (?)

Jun 23, 2020
Northamptonshire, UK
Sandbender was last seen on this forum on May 5, 2017, so he might not answer you right away.

However......the original post was also posted on the old British Blades forum (I really miss that forum !!). I have a pdf file of the post from BB, including photos and everything in the original first post.
Send me a PM with your email address, and I can send you the pdf file if you want?

Ray Mears speak of this kind of carry in one of the old "Extreme Survival" videos. The one on New Zealand I think (?)
Hi there, lurker here.

I can't work out how to send PMs, would there be any chance you could post or send a copy of the pdf instructions to myself?
Cheers, K.

Feb 2, 2022
Belgium

Yeah, when he demonstrates by dropping himself in the water. So he got his knife and firesteel always with him .

Reactions: Tvividr

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Some time ago i made a different style of Baldric sling.
Baldrick 1 by Mark Aspell, on Flickr

Kangeroo leather.
12 strand flat braid over the shoulder turning into round braid and then slowly decreasing to 8 strand at the sheath.
the strands are then worked into the 4 turks head knots on the sheath .
Good fun to do

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE