Making a new Popcan stove stand

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
After making a new pop can stove, I made and tested another pop can stove stand, this time out of thinner stainless steel, the ones I've made in the past have been out of 1mm thick mild steel. I also made a oilskin canvas pouch for it out of offucuts.

sGYSvfp.jpg

I used a sheet of 0.25mm stainless.

YFLwJIO.jpg

Marked out all the cut and drill lines.

xXKI97t.jpg

I cut out the outline, then used a mop disc to level them all.

ZMIfdpF.jpg

j9qAiAr.jpg

Marked out and punched all the air holes. I went for lots of holes instead of bigger holes.

pxdxCyY.jpg

Lots of drilling. Stainless heats up WAY faster than mild steel, so used lots of WD-40 to keep the drill bit cool.

4LkUR0O.jpg

lu39x7X.jpg

Fits great.

On to the pouch, just a simple little thing really. Only took a few minutes to make.

Ct8E226.jpg

IVqZ5UT.jpg

bYYzl7T.jpg

I heated it up to glowing red with a blow tourch to see how bendy it gets. Not very much at all. Doing that took it way past any heating up from something like a frying pan sat on it. Nice to know it wont bend as I tried making one out of 1mm thick aluminum ages ago and that bowed with the weight of a 700ml pot with water in it once it got hot.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Nice! I know that stainless steel can be a bit of a pain to work. I don't envy you drilling all those holes. But the finished stand looks very handy.

Reactions: Amon81

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Nice! I know that stainless steel can be a bit of a pain to work. I don't envy you drilling all those holes. But the finished stand looks very handy.

I did think that. I used the 4th bit as my test bit. 8 and 12 mm brand new drill bits ripped the stainless, then tried using a hole cutter that's a bit past its best, that just made the steel glow red and didn't do anything. So lots of WD-40 on the stainless and the colbolt 4mm drill bit and it went smoothly. I had it on top of a 123 block on my drill press drilling into one of the holes on that.

Also a 1mm cutting disc on a grinder cuts through that really thin stuff like paper.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE