Making a Fire Piston the Native Way

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
OK now watched both all the way through.

I am not sure I have ever seen such an impressive example of carving something finely engineered with just a sharpened screwdriver and some knives. Effective too with fire at the end of it all.

Thanks for posting that.
Cheers,
Steve

Gailainne

Life Member
Really enjoyed watching that, a man who knows his tools and how to use them. The use of water to not only swell the fibres but to check compression (produce steam) was fascinating.

The use of natural products, the physics and chemistry involved of allegedly non-sophisticated, third world people would put western graduates to shame, wonderful stuff.

What was the wood he used ?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Thanks for taking the trouble to post this up Bod & Stuart,
Truely fascinating.

One minor comment for Stuart - after all that effort, there really is no need to show such open disdain that the guy wants a cigarette ;) :lmao: :rolleyes:

Cheers again

Ogri the trog

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
That's seriously impressive stuff!
I will treasure it Ash

Didn't know our base camp was on You tube!
Michael's going to school now with the address to show his mates!

As ever a brill post

Cheers

Mark

Lake

Jun 7, 2009
This is really amazing. What type of wood is suitable for homemade pistons? I want to try make one in my free time.

I have to say that you accomplished something I've dreamed about for years. Great work!
Thank you so much for sharing that with us. I can't say how thrilled I am that you found someone who could build them and got it on film. A million thanks to you, him and all others involved.
Thank you so much for trading the pistons. Of all the pistons I have made, none are prized by me as the one he made. He really knows how to use his tools and watching him at work was inspiring to say the least.
As for the gasket, now I've got another plant I want to grow:) Is wetting the fiber the usual way to prepare the gasket prior to using it? How would that work in the field, licking it?

The bamboo piston arrived well, I picked it up from Cliff at the airport. It wasn't a hard decision to drop the job I was working on to run over to see him and get it. ha ha.

So many questions....

fun fun fun!
Ed

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

As for the gasket, now I've got another plant I want to grow:) Is wetting the fiber the usual way to prepare the gasket prior to using it? How would that work in the field, licking it?

The bamboo piston arrived well, I picked it up from Cliff at the airport. It wasn't a hard decision to drop the job I was working on to run over to see him and get it.

Ed

Glad the piston arrived safely Ed. I thought a bamboo piston would appeal to Cliff as well.

Wetting the fibre is the usual way to prep it.

In the field spit on it if there is no water around rather than licking it.

Give the fibres time to swell. Remember that S. California is a lot drier than the environment in which this bamboo grew (lowland forest near a lake) and there will be shrinkage.

Best place to keep it would be in the bathroom/ shower where it can have a chance to absorb the humid air. Not directly in the shower stall of course.:D

On the move a fire piston does not need to be kept dry like matches and if it gets immersed during a river crossing that's not a problem as the video shows.
It's best to keep your tinder dry though but even damp tinder it can be dried out by repeated compressions which will "steam" away the moisture.

Of course a fire piston has the smallest carbon footprint of any fire lighting tool (apart from two rocks) due to its longevity and the use of sustainable tinder!!

You can use any fibre but the original one is very strong. I believe that braided it would make a good thong for the fire thong having seen some native kids using it to wear away bark.

If you can't get it try another Artocarpus species like jackfruit or breadfruit and see how that does.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Got mine as well thanks, it's great, I had a quick play with it but i need to spend longer getting used to it, maybe soak it more.

Thanks to all involved :You_Rock_

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I am impressed by his knifework and the way he's extended his blades to make them usefull though. a proper native craftsman. a lot of metalwork there though so not totally authentic as I'd like to know the history and how the tribes made them before metal.

it'll keep the armchair brigade busy over winter though along with A&E :D

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Crazydave,

Quite right it is not paleolithic but bronze or iron age.

However, the old method is still known and you can read about it here when I interviewed another tribe.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36224

Actually, from the video and what the other guy says it is posible to do it with wood and stone tools only but you need to be very good i.e. shed the limitations of the modern age!

Just start with a Mora !

Tony, just like learning the bow or hand drill the first few times it is a learned art. once you master it you are king! Stuart is now proficient. i beleive galemys is too

Ivan

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2008
Southern California, USA
I had a look at Ed's little bamboo fire piston today. The piston knob appears to be some type of palm wood, judging the cell structure. Sadly, our native California Fan Palm wood would be much too soft and porous for the job.

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
Actually, from the video and what the other guy says it is posible to do it with wood and stone tools only but you need to be very good i.e. shed the limitations of the modern age!

Just start with a Mora !

Tony, just like learning the bow or hand drill the first few times it is a learned art. once you master it you are king! Stuart is now proficient. i beleive galemys is too

A few years ago whilst on my return from Norfolk as I approached a turning to Grimes Graves, there was a sign advertising a flint knapping exhibition. Seeing how quality flint was dug with nothing more than antler picks and bare hands was a real eye opener but more amazing was the display of knives, scrapers, axes, spear tips and drills this chap had made and demonstrated how it was probably done.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE