Magpie Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
Afternoon all,

Just curious about the behaviour of a (young - I think) magpie I came across the other day. Working on the vid I got of it but my curiousity is too strong to wait.

This magpie, his head seemed less fitting to his body and he still had a bit of "downy-ness" to his neck feathers. He seemed to have little fear. Sitting on a fence, allowing me to get so close I could have touched him. Screaming a bit, other magpies (assuming parents or extended family - as I've heard crows are like this) watching him from the trees. It put a real downer on me, I figured he'd tumbled out of a nest and nature would handle the rest.
After a bit, he flew! He then started having a go at a magpie that'd been watching us from a bush, then he flew quite well to a higher tree.

Was he learning to fly? The cliffs and trees look to be a perfect training ground for it, I'm just wanting to confirm this or be advised on what was actually going on.

Thanks all

Brady

Green Weasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2010
West Sussex
Its normal for young birds of a lot of species to flop out of the nest earthwards during their first attempt at flight and after a period of recovery and orientation to have a proper go at flying. The usual theory is if they were too adventurous and skilful at the first attempt they might hurtle off into the unknown without the guidance of their parents who doubtless would be trying to keep tabs on the rest of the brood as well.
During this vulnerable period a few do fall foul of predators or well meaning humans who think the little mites need rescuing but its all part of nature.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Not unusual, young maggies will stay inside family territory until September or October until they establish a territory of their own. Unusual to see it so up close I suppose though. As for attacking other birds they're well known for it. In fact when shooting magpies its common practice to use a predator decoy as magpies will "mob" predators in packs. I have Eddie the big plastic owl and they attack them quite readily. Or if anyone's ever seen them do this to a cat they'll confirm they can be tenacious little buggers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE