Magnesium Ribbon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Topcat1308

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2011
Wirral
Hi,

I had a thought the other week whilst tediously shaving a magnesium block watching filings blown to every corner of the yard, and with what was left catching alight with firesteel but burning out in a blink.

I thought scraping some magnesium ribbon would be better, with shavings remaining on the strip ready to ignite and in turn ignite the ribbon which would burn for longer...unsuccessful to say the least. Ribbon just wont catch with a firesteel, wont even catch with a match.

Anyone have any experience with Mg as a firestarter - any comments?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I once made a little pot full of shavings from one of those mg blocks ( i was very bored) and to stop them blowing away and also to stop them oxidising I eventually mixed them into a pot of Vaseline and shredded cotton wool. Seamed to work well. Just a bit of Vaseline mixed in with the scrapings would probably work as well with regard to stopping them blowing away and get them to take a spark.

I suppose you could fill a old toothpaste tube with the stuff for convenience.

I'll get my coat...

Atb

Tom

Craig88

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2012
Kingston Upon Hull
Magnesium has a very high combustion point you'd probably get it with a "jet" lighter something like that but i highly doubt you would ever be able to start it from a firesteel. this is why only shavings work they work as like a boost once other material has combusted. But none the less a good idea.Also the actual ribbon once lit burns with a very bright light its actually harmful like looking at a welder so is quite "dangerous" as apposed to other methods

Last edited:

Topcat1308

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2011
Wirral
Just ordered a bottle of magnesium powder. Going to mix it with hezamine powder and see what joy I have with that. Should light with a firesteel....maybe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE