Getting on the biltong bandwagon! lots of pics.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
I'm on a weeks annual leave this week which I needed to use or lose by the end of march, time off and nowhere to go means catching up on some project ideas that I've been wanting to do for ages. First job, build a biltong cabinet!

After a LOT of reading threads, websites and watching YouTube videos I realised one thing more than anything else; There is no 'right way' to make these. Essentially a box with air flow and a source of low heat is it, the details are down to the builder.

I used an old kitchen cupboard I had lying around in my basement, screwed in some some scrap bits of wood that I'd cut slots in to take the rails and cut some copper pipe to length to use as rails. I use my hole saws to cut ventilation holes in the bottom and used my router for the square hole at the top for the fan. A quick wipe out with a diluted bleach solution and it should be fine for food use.

I cut the barrel jack off a 12v DC battery charger I had lying around, and then soldered jointed the wires to the computer fan (donated by a friend after I broke my first one!).

The light source is a 60w bulb in a fitting that was surplus after upgrading my basement lights from bulbs to strip lights over the weekend.

And that's it. All in it cost me £2 for the computer fan (which I broke and ended up not using) and the price of the 60w bulb!

Now for the meat!! As this is my first go, and as a treat to myself for finally getting round to actually building the thing I thought Id go for a top cut of meat, 2Kg of Silverside from my butcher and a selection of spices etc..

Cut into slices with the grain of about 1.5-2cm thick. Again m research showed me there are hundreds of ways people say you should do this, all valid and all different. At the end of the day is personal tastes and what you like to eat that will determine how you do it. We'll see how this works out and I'm sure I'll try other ways in the future.

I mixed up 6 table spoons of pepper, 8 of salt (4 sea salt and 4 rock salt) and 4 of corriander in a large mixing bowl and dry rubbed the meat slices in it to coat them. I then threw in 10 tablespoons of malt vinegar and 2 of Worcestershire sauce to the remaining dry mix and mixed it make the marinade. The meat went in all sloshed around to gt good even coverage. Covered with cling film and into the fridge for just over 3 hours. I turned the meat and sloshed the marinade round once every hour.
Once out of the fridge I patted the slices dry with paper kitchen roll:

and hung with string on my copper pipe rails.

I also added a tin foil drip tray and a little foil tunnel to keep any drips off my bulb.

She's now whirring away nicely and on Friday I should be able to see if I've ruined some perfectly good beef or not!

Cheers,

James :)

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Good stuff there Jim, I always make mine in a dehydrator so have to keep the pieces small but I do love a good big chunk of biltong for the trail.

As you say it is all very much personal preference but I can definitely recommend getting some liquid smoke, I think I got my last lot from Amazon, which adds a lovely smokey quality to the biltong and only needs a tablespoons worth.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I bought some Liquid Hickory Smoke and didn't like even a single drop of it. Each to their own, I suppose.
Do look long and hard at the supplies in the online Cabela's catalog. I think you can judge the strength of the company
by the range and quality of the meat processing equipment that they sell, if nothing else.

Good plan to have a drip tray. It will be a mess when you least expect it.

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
I assume keeping it in an airtight tub/ bag is best for storage. As for how long it lasts? I've no idea. I imagine it will be eaten long before it has a chance to spoil though!

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Airtight storage is best for the smaller stuff but I have seen bigger bits like that in the op being hung indoors (provided it is a cool dry place) for long periods.
The dark outer coating that appears once dry acts as a protective barrier that keeps the meat from spoiling as long as it is left unbroken (not cut into)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Looks great, have to got your air in and out and any gaps covered by mesh to stop flies? Would be a shame to have all that tasty biltong ruined by maggots

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Done the way you show, the surface crust is sometimes called "bark" and keeping it intact is important.
I won't cut more than 1/4" thick strips. First the cure salts, then the seasoning then the drying process.
It's practical for me to keep it bagged up in the freezer = I discovered that over time,
there's a lot of meat water which condenses in the bag as ice/frost. Further drying can do no harm.
Out for the day, I'll dump the ice out of a couple of bags and consolidate my culinary triumpf.

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
Thanks for the tips folks. I don't have mesh over my vents currently but we don't have any flies about at the mo as it's still too cold. I'll add some for the next batch as the weather warms up.

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
Well today was the day. I had a cheeky test yesterday and it was still a little chewy, today it's perfect for my taste. :D

It's pretty peppery but not too strong, I seemed to have got that about right (quite by accident!) my 2kg of meat ended up as 900 grams of biltong.

More than half of it if bagged up ready t be sent to various mates, including the guy who helped me build the cabinet and donated the fan.

Anyway, here it is:

I'm very pleased with and will definitely do some more! Apparently squirrel makes good biltong, would love to try that!

James

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Looks delicious, you got it chopped and bagged up like drug deals there in that last picture :lmao:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
"psst psst hey you, yeah you, wanna buy some biltong?"

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Yes, but it's beside the point in this instance. When the meat is properly dried I could just hang it. But when its still moist in the centre which is how I like it I want to arrest the drying process. Freezing it as one lump would be fine but a pain if I just wanted a little bit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE