Magic & The Wizard of the woods.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan Wound

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2006
Bristol
We all have our campfire pastimes, playing guitar, a bit of whittling, reading, telling stories etc.

The story telling is my favourite and I always like to spice it up especially when with first timers or people not used to the woods !!

For this I find a bit of magic works quite nicely.

When in Namibia 3 years ago, we got to check out an old mine and were allowed to collect some green crystals that had fallen to the side of the long gone conveyor belt. They were mining for Fluorspar, which in this area of the world was green, i have heard of it being other colours in other geographical locations.

The great thing about it is that if you grind it up into a powder, you can toss it over the flames of the fire and hey presto you get green tinged 'magic' flames, which you can imagine spices up a story about a wizard in the woods quite nicely.

Now to my problem, I've run out, does anyone know of anything similar and cheap that could be used to the same effect ?? Ideally a nice colour.

I have heard that non dairy coffee creamer will create a nice flame above a fire but have yet to try. I'm not a scientist or a pyromaniac but simply like to embelish a good yarn.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Similarly, do any of you have any nice simple tricks that you bring out as a party piece ?

I assume we're all of an ilk here and our secrets are safe !!

So who's got the magic touch ?!

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The non dairy whitener works, gives a nice little bright flame.
Anything with copper in should give a green flame.

Quick google gives wikipedia with Flame_test Shows you what colour your get from which chemicals.

And a link of that page gives Colored_fire

Just note, I haven't tried any of these so dont know how good they would be and dont know how safe they would be. i.e. fire ball, flaming embers or noxious fumes. Please take care if you do do any of them.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE