Made my own Ventile Anorak/Cagoule

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shizuku

Oct 2, 2005
Assen, The Netherlands
Hi all,

After using a Pinewood anorak for some years i thought i replaced it with the real deal: a Ventile anorak.
So early this year i received from Talbot Weaving 4,5 metres Olive green Ventile L24. Including shipping costs to the Netherlands it did cost me a €150.
The pattern i used doesn't need that much fabric, but the rest will be used for a shirt.
Although i made several things with the use of a sewing machine (side pouches for my Sabre 45, several (merino) shirts),...) i began this project with some mixed feelings because of the things a read about how difficult it was to sew and of course the price.
But when i finished the anorak, i had the feeling that it was a piece of cake and i could make some more :D (Yeah right..)

I used the pattern from The Rainshed, mentioned here before and adjusted and added some things, like the form of the hood, pockets, zippers, little hanging pocket inside the big pocket for the fire steel, dual layer on the shoulders, an extra draw cord at the waist. All draw cords are situated on the inside of the anorak.

Concerning the use of ventile on a household sewing machine, i made sure i used sharp needles (i used jeans needles 90/14 in combination with Barbour 60 thread, a high strenght, uv resistent mono filament which i had lying around).
When putting parts together i never used needles to pin the parts in place, but used paper clips for edges and double sided tape from Prym (Wondertape) for pockets and zippers instead and then sewed it together.

Well, here you go:

2007_02_17_17_05_49.jpg

2007_02_17_17_05_14.jpg

2007_02_17_17_06_55.jpg

2007_02_17_17_07_50.jpg

Now it makes me want to go in the woods and track something :togo: ,

Ernst

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Wow, you made that! :eek:

Thats really professional looking, ever thought about producing them to sell? I'd be interested!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Thats a fantastic bit of work there mate :)
The pattern i used doesn't need that much fabric, but the rest will be used for a shirt.
Did you buy a pattern or did you base it on your old jacket as a starting point? Also, how much fabric did it use aproximatly?

Again ... excellent work.

:D
Ed

shizuku

Oct 2, 2005
Assen, The Netherlands
Using an economical way of cutting the patterns i used about 3 metres fabric and i made the medium sized cagoule. But in comparison with my old Pinewood, which is XL, this is an huge medium.
The pattern i used is designed by The Rainshed .

Ernst

shizuku

Oct 2, 2005
Assen, The Netherlands
Zammo said:
Thats really professional looking, ever thought about producing them to sell? I'd be interested!

I guess you would, but i don't think my wife would tolerate the dining room being a sewing atelier for another month :rolleyes:
And there are so much more bushcrafty things i like to do and learn.
Did i ever show you my bushcraft knife which i finished a few months ago. Ooh, i never posted it here :lmao: .

Ernst

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
That is absolutely amazing, i am seriously impressed!!!
I have been comtemplating making my own ventile gear for a while, this will spur me on.

shizuku

Oct 2, 2005
Assen, The Netherlands
billycan said:
I have been comtemplating making my own ventile gear for a while, this will spur me on.

try make one first using a old cotton bed sheet. It will familiarize you with the pattern and its difficulties. I did and it helped me very much. This way you can adjust things before you use Ventile.

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
Thanks shizuku, a good tip, my sowing is pretty good but getting the pattern right will be awkward. I think i might find something that is similar to what i want in a charity shop and take it apart for a basic pattern.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Zammo said:
Wow, you made that! :eek:

Hold your horses! In case shizuku doesn't want to get buried with orders, Tony had mentioned a while back that the BushcraftUK ventile jacket would be offered to non-members 'soon'. I don't know how 'soon' but it looks a very nice piece of kit and would provide you with a garment that will last a lifetime.

If you don't have the confidence to make your own (and I have to say, shizuku's is a very professional looking jacket - respect, mate!), it would be worth hanging on for a bit.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Brilliant work mate. That's one of the things I want to try as the commercially available jackets just don't meet my needs.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Brilliant! Hats off! I really like the design and the hood adjustement.

Just add a beaver tail/crotch strap and a fur rim fitting and you would have a perfect arctic winter garment.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
First class effort. Almost makes me wish Id waited to buy the BCUK jacket. The idea of a ventile shirt however is an excellant one.

Cheers
Nick

shizuku

Oct 2, 2005
Assen, The Netherlands
big_swede said:
Just add a beaver tail/crotch strap and a fur rim fitting and you would have a perfect arctic winter garment.

All that extras won't be necessary over here, although i'm really wanting a normal winter again, for starters. But we have to wait for that for a thousand years, i guess :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE