MADE IN SCANDINAVIA

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Is there any reason why made in Scandinavia is significant to the OP? It's a thread like made in UK threads on here.

The only advantage is miles travelled to reach you. Quality and performance isn't necessarily related to country of origin.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I relatively long thought about if I enclose the Baltic states into the question and ask for "Nordic States", but decided to open later an own thread about east European production and to put them in there.

Estonian is nearly the same language as Finnish, both had been governed in their history by Sweden and afterwards by the Russian Empire. If the inhabitants of Estonia would have been asked if they want to become part of the Soviet Union or a part of Finland they surely all would have voted for Finland. But the Nazis sold Estonia to the Soviets in the Molotow-Ribbentrop contract and displaced the Estonia German population to Germany and Poland.
I regard Estonia a bit like the GDR of Finland, and it's worth to mention that the last Swedish inhabitants left Estonia due to WW2 after settling there for centuries like the Germans did as well.

When Hilleberg and Savotta decided to produce in Estonia that was something totally different in my opinion than other people's decision to close the own gates and moove the own production to Asia.
Hilleberg and Savotta grew to Estonia and didn't close the gates at home. That is absolutely comparable with the production of Porsche, Volkswagen and BMW in Saxony.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@Paul_B
Of course others can make quality products too. A Toyota Land Cruiser, a Silky Saw or a Ichiro Hattori /Fjällkniven F1 are for sure no bad stuff. And obviously they are made in Asia.

Nevertheless it is interesting what's made in Britain or Scandinavia. Especially because a lot of high end outdoor products come from Scandinavia and often are made by small brands that aren't well known because they don't have the money to make a lot of PR.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Estonian is nearly the same language as Finnish
Well yes and no, as languages they have been apart at least 1500 years. Presently they are not really mutually understandable, on simple things with good will yes. But learning the other is not nearly as difficult as a language from other family.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The Norwegian made ISBJORN sleeping bags are such a case for example, where a small quality maker offers a niche product that is internationally as good as unknown.

It is not so easy to get a good sleeping bag for children. But ISBJORN offers it here:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE