MADE IN SCANDINAVIA

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Which bushcraft relevant products are still made in Scandinavic countries?

I mean the production, not a headquarter and design office that orders equipment that is in fact made somewhere else.

I think we should count in here Greenland, Iceland, Faeroe islands, Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland.

Please don't assume here something, but tell us facts that you know for sure.

A lot of equipment that was made a couple of years ago in Scandinavia isn't made there any more. (The brands still exist, but the current production is located somewhere else.)

Last edited:

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
The Finns don’t consider themselves Scandinavian, just Finnish. But they produce a lot of good quality equipment. Sako make fantastic rifles and you have Lapua bullets and brass for the discerning rifleman, also Vihtavuori gunpowder. Savotta for military equipment/bushcrafting bits and pieces, although some manufacture has shifted to Estonia. Vision make some great fishing kit and you are spoiled for choice when it comes to edged tools - I like the Marttiini brand but there are numerous others. The Finns make good steel.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The small knife makers are interesting and it's surely worth to mention them.
Should I need a ship full of steel I probably would call Sandvik or Fiskars, but most of us just need a smaller amount of products and often appreciate an individual item.
Should somebody know a grandma who sells hand knitted pullovers on the faeroe islands it also should be mentioned, because she will need a bit PR more than Volvo.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Yes, I know. But who and where exactly is the question. I would like to read here the names of the manufacturers and makers!

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Which bushcraft relevant products are still made in Scandinavic countries?

I mean the production, not a headquarter and design office that orders equipment that is in fact made somewhere else.

I think we should count in here Greenland, Iceland, Faeroe islands, Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland.

Please don't assume here something, but tell us facts that you know for sure.

A lot of equipment that was made a couple of years ago in Scandinavia isn't made there any more. (The brands still exist, but the current production is located somewhere else.)
What brands would those be and where are they made now?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Don't Oyo make knives and cutlery still in Geilo, Norway? I bought a folder of theirs in an outdoor shop in the town then saw it a year later in a shop in the UK for the same cost. There's another knife factory there too I think but can't remember the name.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
-Helle, Brusletto produce locally as far as I know-
-Helsport does outsource production for certain product lines - stated on site
-Norma - ammunition
-Dale, woolen garments

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Fiskars makes a lot more than garden tools isn't it?
I have seen at Wikipedia that they are huge!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Are Savotta packs still made in Finland? Mine have the neat little Finnish flag stitched into them that suggests they might be...

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Savotta has a subsidiary in Estonia where I think they do a lot of the sewing. Hardware is mostly done still in Finland I think.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Yes, I think kitchen and table ware in various forms is much larger than tools.
I think there's a few user knife manufacturers who make more. Opinel from France for example. I think I saw brusletto make cutlery too. The two knife brands who make in Geilo, Norway also make a variety of other products. However Fiskars are bigger in their range. I really found out about them through gardening.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE