MADE IN BRITAIN

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I am corrected. Canadian bear skin head gear. How freakin' quaint. Not here in the colon-icy.
Beaver or bear, that's a standout piece of military kit. Yes it is.
Hope there's a refrigeration pump and a fan in there.
The Canadian beaver-skin hat is terrible to wear warmer than -20C = cook your head besides windproof.
Dad had one. Wonder how it "disappeared" when he died.

I want a piece of jewellry carved from jet. A fossil? from NYorks, north of Whitby, I think.
Who spins the cloth for Harris tweeds?

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
To be honest outdoors and rural life/sports has always been a huge part of the UK - adults and kids alike. For years and years I have been going to rural crafts and fairs with my dad - from a kid right up to adulthood (when he died)

Young farmers is MASSIVE in rural/semi rural areas.

Scouts, guides, beavers etc is in nearly every small town upwards and often multiple ‘troops’ in different areas of the bigger towns.

Forest schools and the like from nursery age is also a big thing.

Walking and outdoors has always been a British ‘thing’ to do. We are a small nation (land mass wise) and the land is intensively worked for both food and leisure.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Yes they are bear skin hats. I think the idea is that because they are so stupidly tall there's a bit of air space in there and they don't cook your head.

As for why they wear them.....not a bloody clue lol
I suspect originally it was to make the soldiers look bigger to the enemy :D

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I want a piece of jewellry carved from jet. A fossil? from NYorks, north of Whitby, I think.
Who spins the cloth for Harris tweeds?

I'm in Whitby this weekend :) My wife has a few pieces; it really is quite stunning stuff. It's fossilised wood.

Harris tweed is made by individual artisan weavers - collectively producing cloth on an industrial scale. It is all controlled by the Harris Tweed Guardians. It is lovely cloth, my preference being the heather purples mixed with sage greens :)

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
When they had been created, the heros usually didn't hide them self's in trenches.

They where standing in rows on the open field, one row loading, one row standing, one row on the knee.

It was shooten in salves until one side was reduced a bit, than the cavalry tried to bring the whole thing in disorder.

Some canons of course shot in between too a bit.

In the end they looked who was left, counted, and decided who was the winner of the day.

More or less like chess.

Reactions: Janne

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Then went home, arranged for the kids to get married to deepen the peace and understanding while the next generation of peasants that could be used as disposables grew up.

I always wondered about the weight of those hats.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erbswurst

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
When they had been created, the heros usually didn't hide them self's in trenches.

They where standing in rows on the open field, one row loading, one row standing, one row on the knee.

It was shooten in salves until one side was reduced a bit, than the cavalry tried to bring the whole thing in disorder.

Some canons of course shot in between too a bit.

In the end they looked who was left, counted, and decided who was the winner of the day.

More or less like chess.

Indeed. The posts between Robson and I are what we call a "joke" they are terribly inefficient things but quite popular

(I'm doing another joke now)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Then went home, arranged for the kids to get married to deepen the peace and understanding while the next generation of peasants that could be used as disposables grew up.

I always wondered about the weight of those hats.

Quite light I'm told. They are like a very open weaved basket inside

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Some here claim to know nothing about the the British Hudson's Bay Company (est 1671, I recall).
Of course not = HBC did all their business in North American fur trades.
Bunch of Fat-Cats bankrolled the gig and it has gone on for centuries. The fur trade is alive and well.
Do HBC not supply the Canadian beaver pelts used in those gigantic hats worn by your own Queen's Guard soldiers????
If I remember correctly those hats are made from bearskin; not beaver.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
So we agree then. Sort of!
I wish we lived closer to each other, we would have a great time talking over a pint or another beverage!

Remember one thing though. You mention the British soldier coped in various, un Britain like climates in past times.
Yes and no. Service abroad ( or in the navy before Rose’s Lime) usually meant a death sentence. Less guys died from war related trauma then from diseases. Bad nutrition, bad immunity before the service is partly to blame
Even today a high percentage of military troops in th more developed countries services are afflicted with other illness or an industrial type injury rather than a true combat wound.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Even today a high percentage of military troops in th more developed countries services are afflicted with other illness or an industrial type injury rather than a true combat wound.
Absolutely. Specially if countries they do the work in are of dubious hygienic level.....

Are there any match manufacturers in UK?
Lighters?
Dunhill still make lighters in UK I believe, but they are not so suitable to take out.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If I had any foolish ambition to go out, I need one of those hats.
I'd pull that sucker down so far that I'd have to cut eye-holes in it.
It's -30C/-20F with no prediction of improvement for 10+ days.

I can't imagine a pleasant paleo afternoon even in a 30' diameter pit-house on days like this
but they did by the dozens. No bison here but bear-skin robes to be sure.

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE