Made a hobo reel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm going to share this, just for feedback.

I made a hobo reel for a fellow member on here. I've never made one before and this is very much a prototype just so I can play with the shape before doing it properly. Nonetheless, I'm reasonably pleased with how it came out considering it took about 10 minutes and used a rough old bit of wood. For the same reason I haven't worried too much about getting a proper finish on it, so it has only been sanded enough to avoid splinters and left at that.

8620285482_7b0ea196aa_b.jpg

I am of course aware of the legalities of hobo fishing, but this was made more as an exercise in woodwork than anything else.

Anyway, all comments welcome

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Looks good. From a practical point of view maybe a bit deep, you'd got through a lot of backing before you have usable line on that. Also a hollow handle for extra hooks, weights and stuff is useful if possible?

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Thanks. The lack of a hollow handle was deliberate, although it is something I would like to do on a future one. I'm also told that the end disk should be a bit more rounded to help the line leave the reel during casting.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Used my Axminster hobby lathe. Basically this lathe, but not in red.

Was pretty much the woodturning equivalent of a hatchet job, but I'll do it properly on the next one. This will serve as a spare.

freenarative

Oct 18, 2012
oldham
1st thought "is that a wooden labret stud?"
2nd thought "That Is well made. Excellent work there."
3rd thought "A hollowed out core would be good for gubbins 'n' stuff"
Finally "legalities of fishing? what, you need a license or something to fish now? I thought they were called "public waterways" for a reason?"
Just in case the bad joke didn't go down in text so well,,,,I have never fished fresh water without a license and I have ONLY ever sea fished outside the 15 mile line.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
When I lived on Cyprus I'd watch locals catching squid with just a hook and line and they used a small stick of wood for a reel, simple but it worked.

Nice work on your HM.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Thanks for all the comments folks. it was passed on to its new owner, who apparently is very happy with it, although I will probaby make another one with a wider middle and better taper at the the casting end.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE