M77 Norwegian army boots sizing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
Hello all,
Are there many people here who have experience with the M77 Norwegian army boot?
I've bought a pair in helsinki, and that armystore had a real good description for these boots, even for the sizing they advised.
I took a pair of insoles from my old boots, and measured the longest distance, and compared to their sizetable.
Which is also my regular footsize, a 44.
And that pair I ordered.

I took them out of the box, and was positively suprised, nice made boots, all++
even when I put my feet in (with a thin and thick sock, as descibed) they felt well.
Now, three days later, I start having a doubt if they are not TOO big?
When I put my toes completely in the front, i can put my index and middlefinger behind my heel before touching the leather, is that the deal for wintersizing with these boots?
The black insole is the boots insole.
I'll try to put some foto's here.
Otherwise a perfect boot!
IMG-7114.jpg
IMG-7115.jpg
25108.jpg

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
They come with the standard black insole as seen on the foto.
And with these two pairs of socks, (didn't try yet) how much room do you need lengthwise? do your feet swell up in winter as they do in summer?

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
I think even taking winter sizing into account; wearing extra thick/double socks they are still about 1/2” too big. Should’ve got EU42 (263mm) maybe?

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
so, you think 2 sizes down? On the foto it's a bare foot.
if that is so, I might have a almost new pair for sale, it's size 44 (277mm)
wore them only 3 days around the house.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
I reckon so but don’t take my word for it, Everyone’s feet are different. The next size down only reduces by 7mm. I’m a size 10 in trainers and like you 9.5 in most boots, I’d go for the eu42 for my feet.

c.c

Jul 29, 2020
Kent
I've not seen these boots for yrs, so much better than those issued to us for Norway, think I've still got mine somewhere! As Tor helge said thick liner and X2 pair of socks

c.c

Jul 29, 2020
Kent
? As far as I know these are the same as they issue to the Norwegic army, even has the typical Norway shield moulded into the soles.
Reason i said that I've not seen them for yrs was because the Battery i was in used to spend between 6 to 9 weeks a yr in Norway, Jan through March doing arctic warfare "plus lots of drinking" & most of us bought these boots because the army issue ones were let's say not very good!

Reactions: Bert

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Let me add that the quality of the boots have declined during the years.
You could get a pair of good boots, but very often they are crap.
One problem when I was in HV (National guard) was that the sole disintegrated during storage. I`ve not had the problem on mine, but plenty of other guys had to get new boots because of this.
I have however had new boots getting a large hole between the sole and upper whitin a weeks use (inferior leather quality).

Reactions: Erbswurst

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
Well, That's the sickness of this day and age we are living in!
business have to sell the max, products are to be produced costing next to nothing, so that the members of the board are payed the maximum!
that these boots fall to pieces within two weeks or so doesn't interested anybody apart of the buyer.

It seems to me that buying a good product this day and age, is quite a challenge!

When the Dutch army transferred to Meindl army boots, I got one pair of the early production, and quite recently I replaced that pair with one from recent production, I find that I can spot the difference, they seem the same, but the way the sole is attached, looks more like the cheap CHINA way of doiing.

or what about the sole separation of the Meindl desert fox? within two months of buying. as said before, the only thing important here is the maximum gain moneywise.

Last edited:

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
?? I don't know, just heard bad opinions of those Alpha's???
and they don't have the Norwegian shield and date logo on the bottom, which supposed to stand for NorwegianArmy quality standard .

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
My impression is that Rangers BM65 Argueyrolles as well as own brand Decathlon shoes and hiking boots are minimum half a size smaller than German boots if they declare the same size!

Perhaps the length is identic but not the width or whatever. I don't know that. But obviously the sizing isn't really identic in Europe. And even in one country we find several shapes of course.

The prêt-à-porter clothing sizing also isn't identic by the way, because the shapes of the usual clients differ from country to country.

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
I followed their recommendations: drawing around your feet, and measuring diagonally, and ended up with one size too big (I think) it is good to have room for extra socks, I tried, but lengthwise it was too long (had a thumb wide between the leather and my foot, while I shoved my feet as far forward as possible, still not touching the nose of the shoe.)

From their website, concerning the sizing:

First the standard French/EU size, then recommended foot length in millimetres. Measure by drawing the outline of your foot on a paper, then measuring the distance directly from the big toe to the centre edge of the heel.
The sizes run large. Additionally, the last is wide. These are designed to be used with double or even triple woollen socks and this is taken into account in sizing!

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE