M65

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I recently picked up a few pairs of combats in drab and black and a few t-shirts from a dark and dingy little surplus clothing store down the road and they had an M65 jacket for sale for £40... Bargain, I thought so I treated myself.

I've just got back from a nice few days in Brighton with Eloise and was shocked at how warm it actually was whilst wandering around and walking on the sea front. I admit, it's not really arctic outside but it was pretty windy.

It spat with rain for most of the weekend and the water looked like it beaded on the fabric but I doubt it's waterproof... or is it?

I have a few big cans of nikwax spray and I was thinking of giving it a blast.

Over all I think it's a brilliant jacket and for the money, I think it will be worn to death... the only thing that's narked me is the lack of loop to hang it on.

Any advice on waterproofing vs breathability or anything would be most welcome.

Cheers

Joe

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Squidders they arent waterproof but the fabric is treated to make them light shower proof of course this goes first wash.

Welcome to the M65 club btw!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Cheers Gary! for the advice and welcome :wink:

Do you treat yours or just carry a poncho or something?

I was going to get one from you but my paypal account is maxed out and my bank haven't registered the paypal thingys so I can get verified or whatever... it's knocked loads of online shopping on the head for the time being :cry:

I have a bit of a list for you though... I may get a cheque out in the post and start calling you santa :You_Rock_

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Nikwax CottonProof is the best thing to use on polycotton ... give it a wash with their TechWash first to remove detergents. A proofing with CottonProof with last for several washes if you use a detergent free wash like TechWash ... it's not as cheap as washing powerder but I find it effective.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
It's great on trousers too ... it's doesn't make them waterproof but they do become showerproof. Another added advantage is that they seem to dry out a lot easier when treated and also seem to repel dirt better.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I have modified mine a little. A string that goes from the button on the right shoulder strap and down into the right pocket. Great for securing kit. :wink:

I'm planning to attach one to the left also.
There's also 2 rubber bands around a button inside the jacket. Anyone got any further modefications? :roll:

The best I like about it is the big, sturdy pockets. :eek:): And of course the thing that it's warm! :pack:

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i saw a immitation m65 with button in liner. it's priced € 60. I went to a online auction i saw a dutch airforce jacket, for € 15 and bought that one instead. It also has a button in liner, but this one is made of artificial fure. This unused dutch airforce parka is great ! It's already proofed, so no washing and proofing. It has 2 chest pockets, 2 lower once's and one pocket inside. All of the 4 pockets on the outside are devided in 2 smaller pockets and one big, thus giving you a total of 12 pockets on the outside alone ! This jacket had expended my horizon on quality items even more than it already was, it doesn't have to be a thing that everyone has talked about. Just go shop around and find that beautiful bargain !

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
The M65 (as Gary pointed out) is proofed for light showers out of the shop... They did have a dutch (Or was it German) one in the shop that looked good and had loads of pockets but I didn't get on with the lining. I'm not saying it didn't work or wasn't good but just not what I was after... I agree though, there are some great bargains around. mainly because everyone's after M65s :nana:

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Top quality jacket the m65,ive had a few over the years the first just because i liked the look of them.Reckon i will allways have at least one in my wardrobe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE