M1952 Rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodsrunner

Forager
May 13, 2013
Montana USA
Just a nutter look at yet a nutter military rucksack...more on the way:)

[video=youtube;_yV85V88E9k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yV85V88E9k[/video]

Coming Next Week...The Swedish LK35 rucksack...atb...woods

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The Ryggsäck LK-35 is wonderful if you are very short and doing short trips for a few days.
I had the pleasure to have been issued it.

Too small, only 35 liters volume, very short top to bottom, too deep.
Fabric (Nylon/ cordura I recall?) leaked and a cig butt easily melted it.
Frame made from thin steel tubes that either cut into your back and caused blisters or snapped, or even both.
The thin unpadded hip belt sits too high if you want the weight of the load to be high abd close to the shoulders, or the sack hangs out from your back if you release the shoulder straps enough for the hip belt to sit correctly.

We used to joke it was designed by a vertically challenged sadist.

All of us replaced them with own rucksaks after the first pay. I bought a Fjällräven 70 liter sack which I modified slightly and mated to a Colemand nylon flexible frame. Still use it, 35 years on.

Enjoy a piece of real Swedish Army military history!

MT606

Nomad
Jan 17, 2013
North of the southern wall.
I've had 2 of the ww2 us mountain ruck sacks(currently got a 42 dated one made by Hinson), cracking bits of kit, better than the pre war/wartime German ruck sacks but only because the US pack had a frame. keep posting the vid's....

woodsrunner

Forager
May 13, 2013
Montana USA
I've had 2 of the ww2 us mountain ruck sacks(currently got a 42 dated one made by Hinson), cracking bits of kit, better than the pre war/wartime German ruck sacks but only because the US pack had a frame. keep posting the vid's....
thanks for the comment!...i hope to be picking up a WW2 mountain ruck at the next gun show coming up soon...42 Hinson Mtn ruck is an awesome bag...thanks again...woods

woodsrunner

Forager
May 13, 2013
Montana USA
The Ryggsäck LK-35 is wonderful if you are very short and doing short trips for a few days.
I had the pleasure to have been issued it.

Too small, only 35 liters volume, very short top to bottom, too deep.
Fabric (Nylon/ cordura I recall?) leaked and a cig butt easily melted it.
Frame made from thin steel tubes that either cut into your back and caused blisters or snapped, or even both.
The thin unpadded hip belt sits too high if you want the weight of the load to be high abd close to the shoulders, or the sack hangs out from your back if you release the shoulder straps enough for the hip belt to sit correctly.

We used to joke it was designed by a vertically challenged sadist.

All of us replaced them with own rucksaks after the first pay. I bought a Fjällräven 70 liter sack which I modified slightly and mated to a Colemand nylon flexible frame. Still use it, 35 years on.

Enjoy a piece of real Swedish Army military history!

yes...you are correct, The LK35 certainly is not perfect (what pack is?), but i carried it on an eight day backpacking trip in the mountains with only minor issues...i used a molle 2 waist belt with the pack and that belt did not work very well...too wide.
i also used the LK35 on a week long canoe trip on the missouri river in Montana and it rode well in my canoe, carrying most my gear and repelling most of the rain...but then, i don't carry near as much equipment as they do in the military...nor as much as many campers do, my equipment is rather spartan compared to most.
But i'll hold my final thoughts on the LK35 for the review...atb...woods

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
It was designed for the Infantery. They only needed to carry the bare necessities, almost like a 2 or 3 day trip for us. The rest was on the Company vehicles.
My unit, we had to carry quite a bit more.
The main problem was the weird frame, too short top to bottom. with a different frame, one that fits your back, it should be fine for a week or two trip in the bush, you just need to add carrying capacity by adding to the top and sides.
The frame can be made "softer" by adding a cross bracing with para cord or leather straps, to distance the frame from the body.

Except the bad heat resistance, it is of a fabulous quality.
I hope you get an unmolested one, one with the original leather straps.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE