Luxe SilHexpeak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
A sneak peak of the new shelter from Luxe was posted on twitter by bpl_uk earlier today and it looks like it could be a good 'un, thought it might interest a few on here:

Hexpeak500-2-500x500.jpg

From what's been said on twitter, the shelter/more info and hopefully a video should be up on the backpackinglight site from Monday. Hopefully Podcast Bob will be along on here to tell us more as well. Specs/more pics up on the Luxe site. Comes with an inner and seems a good price.

I'm looking forward to seeing more :)

Matt

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I wonder what GoLite will have to say about it :)

Heavy with the nest and kind of restricting with it only sleeping one, maybe a full nest like the SL3 would be a good option. I like it though, 620g is a tad heavier then my TS but still a nice weight to carry.

Hopefully Bob will do a vid so we can see the useable space inside, it would be good if it slept two with kit, leaving the nest at home.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Oooo I like that a lot. I've been waiting for a SL3 to pop up in the classifieds so I can add a jack for my ti woodburner. This would work a treat if the price is right.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Interesting look. Seems to be a mini peak with more porch. Not really enough headroom still imo. Good weight but not class leading. But then its cheaper than class leaders. Ill await early purchasers reviews.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Interesting look. Seems to be a mini peak with more porch. Not really enough headroom still imo. Good weight but not class leading. But then its cheaper than class leaders. Ill await early purchasers reviews.

I know what you mean, perhaps theres a way of making the peak wider.

Like the tent though, beats the pants off alot of others.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Good post here from Martin Rye over at Summit and Valley looking at weights etc compared to other mid style shelters.

Also appears the inner fits inside the Golite SL3 as well.

Just hope the quality is good, I've never seen a Luxe shelter up close, any users of the mini peak etc have anything to share re the stitching/general quality of other Luxe shelters?

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
@Ollyboyd - hex shape sheds wind and snow better than dome or tunnel. Also not effected by change wind direction of maybe 90 degrees overnight as a depression passes. Usually more ground area for the same weight, but maybe less "useful" space as perimeter approached.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
What are the benefits of this style of tent over, say, a domed tent or more 'normal' styles?

This style uses just one pole and that is to hold middle up. Its MUCH quicker and easier to put up and because of the Sil-Nylon its MUCH lighter and more compact in pack.

Good post here from Martin Rye over at Summit and Valley looking at weights etc compared to other mid style shelters.

Also appears the inner fits inside the Golite SL3 as well.

Just hope the quality is good, I've never seen a Luxe shelter up close, any users of the mini peak etc have anything to share re the stitching/general quality of other Luxe shelters?

I have a Sil-minipeak and can vouch for the quality. I also forgot to seam seal mine which you're supposed to do when you buy any sil based tarp/tent etc and had no leakage even when it was lashing down for hours.

They're really light and compact, especially when you leave the inner at home which weights and takes up as much space as the tent itself.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Just realized it weights less then the minipeak. :eek: It would be interesting to know the dimensions. :)

[edit]

Ah didnt notice they was up..

KYfMf9x.png

Think I may be replacing the minipeak if its lighter but more room :)

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Just realized it weights less then the minipeak. :eek: It would be interesting to know the dimensions. :)

[edit]

Ah didnt notice they was up..

KYfMf9x.png

Think I may be replacing the minipeak if its lighter but more room :)

Isn't the minipeak the same 240cm across, but square which would mean the MP has more room?

Attachments

• resize.jpg
    resize.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
So this is basically similar to the SL3. I can't figure out if it has another vent. One annoying feature of the SL3 is that you can't close the vents - although I'm working on a mod for that. Looks like you can close the vents on this one.

I'm not gone on mesh for inners - I prefer ripstop due to cosiness, but this half'n'half seems a reasonable compromise.

If anyone is considering this style of shelter, I think they're great, but there are a couple of downsides. First of all the door is very sloped, so it's difficult to leave it open in rain. Also, due to the slope of the door, the bottom of the zip is a long way away - annoying if you just want to open it for some air. The single central pole can sink into soft ground, but that's easily remedied with a piece of wood or plastic to distribute the pressure.

Other than that, these are great shelters. Great space for the weight, and untroubled even by strong winds.

Podcast Bob

Yes there was a lot of chatter about this on Twitter at the weekend, so much so we've almost sold out today!

This is a new design approach for Luxe. I managed to get it up between rain showers on Saturday and all the fittings on it are of the lighter, more contemporary style used by much more expensive brands.

The zip is a double ended J Type, so if you want ventilation or to cook in there it is much easy than you might think. The SL3 had the worst problem for reaching for the zip when the door was closed, but I solved that by attaching some cord on a baby Krab during the night.

Yes you can velcro the vent closed. The support slides out of the way.

It is designed to work at maximum walking pole height (not all poles) of 135cm, so of course the spike slots into the ground but the basket will hold it in place.

At 6'2" the inner is okay on a Thermarest but I wouldn't suggest it for people any taller. But it is the useable width space inside which is appealing. Tall enough for me to sit up and pull clothes off. Plenty of space left for gear and kit.

The 50/50 inner is fine nylon and midge netting.

2 adults? Yes like the Hex3 either side of the pole without any inner, but you will need to make up your own groundsheet, (Or use an old Golite one of course)

Talking of which I tried the inner in a WickiUp3 which I think is the same size as the Golite series and the fit was perfect on the floor and (naturally) short in the height.

Ookworks are charging more than this just for an inner, so you can see the excellent value it offers.

That's about all I can offer at the moment. I will be producing a video as soon as I can, however the forecast is yet more rain this week, which is hampering things currently. I've got several tents to do which will be of interest I know, not just this one.

Last edited:

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Yes there was a lot of chatter about this on Twitter at the weekend, so much so we've almost sold out today!

At 6'2" the inner is okay on a Thermarest but I wouldn't suggest it for people any taller. But it is the useable width space inside which is appealing. Tall enough for me to sit up and pull clothes off. Plenty of space left for gear and kit.

The 50/50 inner is fine nylon and midge netting.

I'm average height at 5'9" but very broad. I didn't think the Mini Peak was overly wide although it's adequate. Is the Hex inner/nest really only 65cm wide? Surely the slope of the inner will get in your face, especially if used with a mat 4cm or thicker?

Last edited:

Podcast Bob

Actually the 65cm is not noticeable as the full width of 120cm makes it feel cavernous, when you sit up and faff about.

Yes the thicker the mat, the more material could get in your face. I'm at the limit as I say on my mat, however there is a good air gap between the mesh and outer, so not too inconvenient.

I've been in considerably more expensive shelters with worse.

Well the first batch has now left us (along with a lorry load of sweeties) and so I wait with baited breath for the feedback from fellow enthusiasts :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE