Lundhags Syncro Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tack

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2005
West Midlands
Hi,
Some of you may know that my Wife and I are emmigrating to Canada shortly. To prepare for this I have been acquiring new items of kit which otherwise would not be available there. One of these is a pair of Lundhags boots. I am familiar with Lundhags having owned a pair during a trip to Norway many years ago. I remember them as being very comfortable and much more waterproof than conventional footwear. Lundhags use a leather liner to their boots which is then coated with rubber which the manufacturer calls Certech. The result is a boot almost impervious to any moisture.

Why did I need yet another pair of boots? (question from my Wife).
The Lundhags were intended to complete my boot collection which includes boots for use during my various outdoor activities. These include a pair of Italian hiking boots with a Norwegian welt for general use, a pair of Danner Frontier Extremes with 600g of Thinsulate and a Gore-Tex liner and a pair of Hanwag Bergell Top mountaineering boots.

So it was that I found myself at the Midland Game Fair earlier this year trying several models which were being displayed by Tamarack Outdoors (www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk). Having tried the various models I decided that the Syncro was the most comfortable and, crucially offered the right level of stiffness in the sole. A few days later I ordered a pair of Syncro's in mustard with a stainless finish to the bellows tongue. It seems that this was an unusual colour to order and had to be obtained from the factory in Sweden but after a wait of several weeks the boots arrived together with a tin of their proprietory leather conditioner.

I must offer a word of praise for Tony Cameron at Tamarack because right throughout the ordering process he kept me well informed as to the progress of my order. I have bought from Tamarack in the past and would not hesitate to recommend them.

My first impressions of the boots were how light they are. They appear much lighter than my Hanwags and lighter even than my Danners even though they are of similar dimensions. After treating them with conditioner I let them dry and then filled my bath at home with (warm) water. Wearing the boots without socks I stood in the bath for twenty minutes without any water reaching my feet. The next test for the boots was on a fairly gentle 2 hour walk in woods near my home. The boots are leather lined and have more volume than I am used to so I dug out a pair of extra thick socks and wore these together with the felt footbeds supplied with the boots. The idea of this extra volume is so that the user can adjust the temperature level in the boot by adding or taking off layers of socks, much as one would do with underwear and mid-layer clothing. Lundhags boots come with no built-in insulation or waterproof linings but they remained warm and dry right throughout the walk. I deliberately trawled through every water filled rut and puddle I could find but at no time did they leak. The soles are the excellent Vibram traction which provide superb grip without clogging. On my return I thought carefully about my experiences with the boot and realised that in addition, the boots required almost no wearing-in. It was almost as if I had been wearing them for years, something I very much intend to do.

At £260 these boots are not cheap but if, like me you spend as much of your spare time as you can, or if you are one of the lucky people to make their living in the outdoors I don't think these boots can be beaten.
http://shop.lundhags.se/1038-16-64.html

Tack

May 13, 2007
NORTHANTS
Great review Tack, after looking back through the forum to see when it was that you first ordered them, I inadvertently responded on the "Ray Mears Boots" thread :eek: apologies for confusion.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Good review & thanks. My experience with the Lundhags is a bit odd. I purchased a pair of scouts and initially they were great. Unfortunately, 2 months or so after I bought them the left boot developped a 'crease', i.e. a preferential point where the top portion will crease while walking, that puts a lot of pressure just at the point where my big toe joins the foot (and thus where the tendon is...). It is now painful to walk on them and I cannot figure out a) why this happened after months of intensive no-problem use and b) how I can fix this.

It's a pity because they were developping as my boot-of-choice.

Any help/experience with this problem is welcome.

Thanks

Tack

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2005
West Midlands
Good review & thanks. My experience with the Lundhags is a bit odd. I purchased a pair of scouts and initially they were great. Unfortunately, 2 months or so after I bought them the left boot developped a 'crease', i.e. a preferential point where the top portion will crease while walking, that puts a lot of pressure just at the point where my big toe joins the foot (and thus where the tendon is...). It is now painful to walk on them and I cannot figure out a) why this happened after months of intensive no-problem use and b) how I can fix this.

It's a pity because they were developping as my boot-of-choice.

Any help/experience with this problem is welcome.

Thanks
Hi,
I would firstly talk to the retailer who supplied the boots. Lundhags are a very reputable company and if there is a fault with the materials or the construction in the boot then I would suggest that they will replace them.
Let us know how you get on.
Tack

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Hi,
I would firstly talk to the retailer who supplied the boots. Lundhags are a very reputable company and if there is a fault with the materials or the construction in the boot then I would suggest that they will replace them.
Let us know how you get on.
Tack

OK, here's a situation report. I have been to the the Appenines last week and decided to test whether my feet or the Lundhags-with-crease were stronger. Eventually my feet won the contest and I enjoyed the boots as before. I noticed that 'warming' the boots before use (just keep them 10 minutes before a stove) helped a lot and after some 15 minutes of discomfort the crease stopped being a nuissance.
So, I'm still convinced about the quality of the boots and the concept is completely in line with my philosophy of keeping things simple and essential (and thus smart)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE