Lumbar Pack.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Ok, the Mountainsmith Day has arrived and its a nice pack. I've packed 3l of water, soft-shell, lunch (biscuits brown, protein bar, juice powder, peanut butter), my possibles pouch, gloves, hat, waterproof bottoms, brew kit, Arktis 'Jerven' bag. It all comes in at 7.25kg and sits just about ok on the back. This is slightly heavier than recommended but obviously the weight will decrease as I drink the water. I've just tried it on at home but intend to try it out at the weekend. One thing I did notice is that the 3l of water (I know I always carry it) has to be packed on the bottom to be comfortable. Pics and review to follow.

justmosey

Nov 18, 2012
Denbigh, North Wales
I suppose much depends on how much you want to spend and how much you'll be carrying. I've had the Maxpedition Sabercat and it is a very tough and robust pack. I would not want to carry a lot in it, however, as you need to consider modifications to make it comfortable. At least that was my experience.

I have also owned the Kifaru Scout. With the shoulder harness and Omni belt, along with its general design I think it's about perfect for a lumbar pack. It's a little larger than some of the other types of lumbar packs mentioned but the room is useful if you're out for the day. It is very comfortable and it will easily last your lifetime. It is expensive to purchase and have sent over here but IMHO it is worth every pound without regret. Also, you will have no trouble selling it if you wanted at some point in the future. Second hand Scouts can be had on the Kifaru Forum. Also, you can get good advice.

Just my twp pennies worth. Good luck.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
think i would load the 'scout' up too much. The mountainsmith seems just a touch too small
But that bergans one looks to be ideal....i'll to see whats left over at the end of the month

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Heres my load out. Truly untried yet but this is what I was looking at.

attachment.php

Clockwise from top left, Titanium foil wind shield, alpkit mug with evernew stove, possibles pouch, meths, 3L camelbak lumbar bladder, Arktis 'Jerven' bag, goretex trsrs, hat, gloves, rain cover, soft-shell in dry bag, lunch pouch, brew kit.

attachment.php

Fully loaded with Jerven bag in one water pouch and my mug and brew kit in the other. I added the cord grip and tritium tube myself. I already lost one of the cord ends in the right water bottle pouch. It came away and is lost in a pile of kit in my study thus the knot.

attachment.php

Using the headphones opening for my drinking tube.

Attachments

• IMG_3524.jpg
    IMG_3524.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_3523.jpg
    IMG_3523.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_3522.jpg
    IMG_3522.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
So had the Mountainsmith out for a 3 mile walk this morning. I had it at the max weight that I would consider to be comfortable I think, by the time I got home it was 6.6kg. I occasionally had to hoik it up a bit but it was ok. I'll play with the weight distribution a little more and see how I get on.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
Cheers for link but after looking at some customer reviews of the site I don't think I'd be willing to risk trying to order from there.
If you do go for it please let me know how it goes.
I looked into the site A LOT before I committed. The langevann was my first purchase from the site and they were faultless. I have ordered from them three times since with no problems.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have to admit that I do like the look of the Bergans lumbar pack but I haven't yet been able to bring myself to press the 'add to basket' button yet.

My 'problem' stems from my inability to explain to myself why I need a bag like this. Usually, when I'm out and about, I have some things on my belt and some in my pockets; if I need to carry anything like a tarp, say, I would use my daysack. I just cannot fathom out why I could justify buying one of these.

Can anyone help me? Can anyone explain how lumbar packs are better than pockets 'n' belt or the occasional day sack?

I'm sorry to be so stupid but I would like a bit of help on this...

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I have to admit that I do like the look of the Bergans lumbar pack but I haven't yet been able to bring myself to press the 'add to basket' button yet.

My 'problem' stems from my inability to explain to myself why I need a bag like this. Usually, when I'm out and about, I have some things on my belt and some in my pockets; if I need to carry anything like a tarp, say, I would use my daysack. I just cannot fathom out why I could justify buying one of these.

Can anyone help me? Can anyone explain how lumbar packs are better than pockets 'n' belt or the occasional day sack?

I'm sorry to be so stupid but I would like a bit of help on this...

Two uses for the lumbar pack for me.......well, this is what i'm 'hoping' it will be like :)

Hunting, i hunt on foot using night vision most of the time. I like to take a flask and polish poncho when its cold. Rucksacks are a little restrictive at times and wont to catch on branches and stuff.
Hopefully this will ride out of the way and maybe even allow me to reach into the main compartment without taking it off

Hiking, more ventilation and freedom of movement. Plus i'v been meaning to get a smaller pack for ages, my 35ltr daysacks are just too much bother for a day walk. Large, giving me a sweaty back, and again just a bit more cumbersome than required for the job

Theres also a little challenge and reward in using such a small pack for overnighters

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE