Lumbar Pack.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Hi all,

I've been looking for a large lumbar pack to be used mainly as a day pack.
I'm quite tall and find smaller backpacks awkward/uncomfortable as they ride too high on my back. Plus I'm hoping having the weight on my hips will help keep my back from sweating horribly.

Ideally I'd like to be able to carry my brew/cook kit, some food, bits and bobs (small camera, binoculars, FAK etc.), a base layer/waterproofs, a 3mx3m tarp etc.
Actually I'd be happy to be able to attach the tarp strapped underneath and my waterproofs rolled up and strapped on top.
Basically I want to carry everything needed if I were to get stuck out overnight to survive.

I really like the maxpedition sabercat, except the price £120, I'm not convinced by the military webbing, plus I'd probably have to add some bottle pouches to keep my waterbottles at my side for easy access.
http://www.military1st.co.uk/0426b-maxpedition-sabercat-versipack-black.html

I've looked at The Big One Aiguille Alpine Equipment
http://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/product/rucksacks-bags/t010/
But it's hard to tell what it's like as there's no user reviews.

The Mountainsmith Day Lumbar pack looks good
http://mountainsmith.com/lumbar-packs/day.html
But I can't seem to find it in the UK.

I've also looked into the RIBZ chest packs but can't seem to find them in the UK.

Has anyone else gone the lumber pack route for a day pack?
Anyone with any advice or suggestions or pictures of what they use?
Also if anyone knows of any small backpacks that can be worn more on the hips than the shoulders?

I currently use one of a couple of small karrimor rucksacks but they just sit far too high on my back, has anyone else tried modding a day pack so that it sits on the hips better?

I'll be very grateful for any and all advice.
Cheers Ken

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Great minds. I was looking at the same thing for lightweight walking, I've got a bit of a shoulder issue at the minute. Mountainsmith is available in the UK here

http://www.bryht-design.co.uk/shop/mountainsmith-day-tls-2016-5-colour-options/

I'm about to press the button on a black one.

RIBZ are available from Heinnie here

http://www.heinnie.com/ribz-front-pack

And that's a good price. I intend to carry kit in my ribz and water, food, cooking, dry kit and insulating in the lumbar pack. If the lumbar pack doesn't work out as a walking piece of kit I intend to use it as a camera bag.

t1234

Jul 27, 2010
sussex
I use the North Face Sport Hiker as a lumbar pack. It is very comfortable as it has decent padded hip belt. It also has a shoulder strap and the belt tucks aways into a pouch so very versatile. I've been using it during the summer and find its much cooler not having a bag on the back. I think with this sort or set up you'll always be limited by the weight somewhat as the belt will drag down, stabilizers help.
There was a good thread a few months back discussed the same might be some other suggestions in there.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have a Kifaru Tailgunner I that I am very fond of. Usually use it with the accessory straps only, not the detachable Omni belt, but for use as a walking day bag I find that both are needed. I also find that it is a little too small for a day pack. Even when I put binoculars and camera onto the waist belt there isn't a lot of room in it...lunch, water and room for a pullover and a rain shell...well, the rain shell ends up strapped to the top! Still like it, but it has limitations.

A friend has the Kifaru Scout, which is a much more capable pack, has stays in the back, and he uses it for jungle trips, so plenty of room for day hiking in the UK. The downsides are cost, availability and total bag mass, which is high. The Kifaru gear is pretty tough though.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
As a bit of a Kifaru fanboy I was looking for a tailgunner but the cost and the fact that I'd likely only use it in the summer or as a camera bag took me else where. The cost even secondhand from they US with the exchange rate is crippling. Using the mountainsmith in conjunction with my set of RIBZ should allow me to take what I want with only a light insulative layer.

drliamski

Sep 11, 2006
East London
I rate the mountainsmith days night pack. Mines been my edc for about 5 years now. I'll replace with similar when it goes. Only niggle is the shoulder straps a little narrow.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I've looked at The Big One Aiguille Alpine Equipment
http://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/product/rucksacks-bags/t010/
But it's hard to tell what it's like as there's no user reviews.

I ordered an Aiguille Big One a few months ago, very simple, comfortable and ruggedly made to order in the Lake District.

Only had the chance to use it a few times but no complaints.

It seems a bit smaller than the advertised 10 litres but if they say that is what it is, it must be true.

Although it is not MOLLE compatible, by using a couple of mini carabiners and some trial and error, I've been able to fit a couple of these cheap water bottle carriers to the sides which easily take a 1 litre nalgene bottle.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00M6N9RRG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In fact, I can fit a Pathfinder flask, pot, mug as well as a Trangia burner and mini stove in one and the small flat Swedish army trangia meths container fits in the pouch of the other which also carries a 1 litre nalgene bottle.

Comfortable to walk in and can carry nearly 2 litres of water, a brew kit/cooking gear for two people and a small camera pouch before putting anything in the lumbar pack itself.

I really like it and if there were an easier way of attaching the water bottle carriers it would be perfect for those days when it is too hot to have a full pack on and/or my creaking shoulders want a rest.

Whether it works for you will depend on your body shape and how much you want to carry.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Ooh, that mountainsmith 'day' lumber pack looks nice.......i don't need a new pack.......i don't need a new pack......i don't need a new pack.....i don't need a new pack :lmao:

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Thanks all for the info, still not sure what route I'm going to go, but the mountainsmith day bag does seem ideal and none of the quasi-military webbing.

Please keep the info coming, I'm really interested in what people use.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Looking at the video he didn't seem to be using the delta strap compression on the belt. Kifaru packs have a similar system and it probably would have solved some of his problems with it.

Video is a few years old, and I *believe* the pack has been tweaked over time, so may be down to that. Cos it's bit strange why he also went with a military yoke, when MountainSmith make one for it.

Quite like the wildland pack idea though, Mystery Ranch do couple of nice ones... if spendy.

Last edited:

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Hmmm. Like the look of the mountainsmith day. Im off to sonwdonia to do tryfan and Snowdon end of october and was looking into something for day hikes. How much difference in terms of freedom of movement does having a lumbar pack make (i hate sweaty back syndrome). It also depends on wether i can get enough kit (waterproofs, layers etc) in a lumbar pack.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I should get mine by the middle of next week, my plan is to pack the following into the Mountainsmith Day, bear in mind I'll be carrying stuff in my RIBZ (nav equipment, bino's, PSK, first aid) ;

2 - 3L of water in camelbak
Insulation layer (Montane Prism or soft shell) may be in the compression straps at the bottom in a dry bag
Waterproofs (jacket in bungy cord outside)
Gloves
Hat
Brew kit (alpkit mug, Evernew stove, meths, teabags, powdered milk and sugar), in a water bottle pocket.
lunch (biscuits brown, peanut butter, Trek bar, Bullet meal, I'm not going to eat all of it but that'll do me for a while)
Arktis 'Jerven' bag, possibly in a water bottle pocket
Possibles pouch

Including the 'Day'(800g) and 3L (3300g) of water that comes to 7.02kg which is slightly over the recommended weight (6.8kg). I'll post pics when I have it loaded and a review after I've used it for a while.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE