Lucky Penny

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Anyone else have one?

I have a Victorian copper penny that makes far more decisions for me than I should let it.

Does anyone have any way of carrying an old penny with them, without putting a hole in it?
I would like to be able to still get at it and flip it (so weaving it in to some paracord isn't really suitable) and just sticking it in my wallet or pocket seems a bit dull!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a silver sixpence on my charm bracelet. It's been wrapped in silver wire to frame it (I think it's soldered on with silver solder, it's very tidy however its been done) and give it a hanging loop.
I have another similar sized charm that spins when it's blown....that might work with the penny ? Turn it into a fob kind of thing ?

cheers,
Toddy

I'll find links to similar ones to mine.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
How about a simple leather pouch? I initially thought about a wet formed one but over time it may get a tad loose and the penny could fall out..... A simple flap should work well too though.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I carry an old silver half crown,

Cheers
Topknot

Snap! I too carry a 1947 half crown, have had it with me for many years, the loveliest coin ever minted. I always remember how incredibly rich I felt as a kid if I ever managed to get hold of one!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Snap! I too carry a 1947 half crown, have had it with me for many years, the loveliest coin ever minted. I always remember how incredibly rich I felt as a kid if I ever managed to get hold of one!

Is the actual coin significant to you? I ask because its an odd year to pick coinwise

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
My dear old Grandfather used to keep two old pennies in his wallet. Then he could always say he had two pennies to rub together :)

I carry a couple of silver sixpences, if anyone gives me a blade, I can cross their palm with silver.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Is the actual coin significant to you? I ask because its an odd year to pick coinwise

I was bought a suit, my first one, in 1961 when I sat my 11 plus; in those days the custom was to give "Hansel money" to anybody wearing new clothes, and this half crown was given by my favourite Uncle Jack, one of the nicest men I ever met. I've had it on or about my person since then, and I'll be able to tell you a nano-second before my demise whether or not it's brought me luck :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahhh - thats a special coin. I asked only because up to 1919 they were Sterling Silver. From 1920 to 1946 they were 50% silver. From 1947 onwards they were cupro nickel.

I have a few of the old pure silver ones - lovely coins and I agree there is something very special about a half crown.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I've got a Canadian penny from 1876 in my wallet at all times, belonged to my dad. Minted 100 years before I was born lolz. I'll pass it on to my son some day if I don't lose it. Must have passed through a few hands by now...

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's interesting about the metal content, I knew they'd changed the metal content periodically but not the detail....It's almost a potted history of the fiscal decline of the British Empire!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I still pick up the old ones when I see them - its harmless. An old silver threepenny bit is worth about a quid scrap value. What is interesting is that the coins all weigh out in value. So a sixpence contains twice the silver of a threepenny bit, a shilling four times as much, a florin eight times, a half crown ten times and so on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE