Lucky Find

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I was wandering through Broughty Ferry yesterday with Katy, When she decided to pop into Oxfam for a look.
I dutifully followed (making a beeline for the bookshelf)
Under the bookshelf was a dutch oven!
Decent nick, hardly any rust on it, complete with lid.
£3.99.
Bargain.
I'll give it a rub down with wire wool and re-season it and it'll do lovely.
:D

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
my local oxfam prices stuff nearly as dear as the retailers. Books can be more expensive, mentioned to them a few times but nothing. barnados however sell books at a great price, often i donate the same book i have bought LOL

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Why is it I never seem to get these bargains? A couple week ago I went to a boot fair and as I was going in this bloke was walking out with a large dutch oven. He looked really happy and was boasting to his mate 'I can't believe I got this for £2.50' :(

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Since the wife collects certain types of pottery and I had a lot of spare time while a house husband I got into the habit of visiting charity shops and am constantly amazed at what people donate. I restrict my purchases to "as new" stuff and have found all sorts of treasures. They are really worth the effort to visit on a regular basis and get known for by the staff. In the last 2 months I have had

Still boxed Vango Mk 2 LW tent £25 (never used)
Issue (not seconds) Pro Boots GTX still with tags on £30
Buffalo Mountain shirt £4
Trangia 27 £5
Karrimor KSB Trainers £3

Infact If I listed everything I'd be here all day, Zippos for 50p a pop, British Lightweight Trousers, £2, a Alligator brand double layer Ventile jacket £5 (that was a few years back to be honest from the lost property shop that used to be in a cellar at Manchester Victoria, now sadly no more). new Goretex jackets, Buffalo Mtn Jacket, unused Karrimor rucksacks for all three kids, vast numbers of pollartec fleece jackets and shirts, all sorts. It would seem a lot of folk dabble in the outdoors then get rid of the kit after its been sitting in a cupboard for a few years. Its got to the stage that I turn my nose up at stuff if theres so much as a chip of paint off of a zip!

This isn't intended as boasting and I lot I find gets passed on to family and friends of the right size rather than keep myself but it's a really good idea to cultivate a relationship with your local shops. Big chains like Oxfam do tend to be the most expensive. One thing to beware is buying stuff that needs a part or professional repair. It often costs you more than you forked out for the item in the first place. I picked up a used Wild Country Mtn Quasar for £10, complete and no holes but the ends of the poles were split (gaffa taped up) and the cost of replacing them was extortionate so I gave it to the eldest to play in.

ATB

Tom

M

mark l

I to have had bargins from charity shops over the years including 3 swanndri ranger shirts for £3 each. What I have learnt is that the content of shops does reflect the affluence of the hinterland and you need to go regfularly as anything good does vanish very quickly!!

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Graham earlier:

do.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE