lub0's boot repair adventures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
My girlfriends LeChameau walking boots and her casual Merrell ugg boots both had major problems so I decided to fix them with ShoeGoo and Mcnett Freesole footwear adhesives. The Mcnett Freesole is £7.50 and the ShoeGoo is £2.75, both bought from ebay. I was interested to see which performed best.

The rubber rand around the walking boots was cracking badly and on one of the boots the toe of the sole had a 5mm gap. The Merrell ugg boots had a severely worn-down heel and toe area of the sole.

First thing I did was very rigourosly and thoroughly cleaned both pairs of boots using Nikwax footwear cleaner and a strong nylon brush however I found any old soap to do just as good a job, I reccomend mild hand wash soap so as not to damage the leather. Use plenty of warm water and clean multiple times however don't fall in to the trap I did by mistaking the dirty looking water for dirt... it is the leather tainting the water! It took me the dogged determination of no less than 10 or so vigorous cleaning sessions to realise this was the case.

Dry the boots in a cool area, a warm area will shrink the leather and weaken the glue that fixes the sole to the upper. Not good. Once the boots are dry, the repair can begin.

I used rubbing alcohol to clean all area where I was going to use the glues.

2omrir9u9d2dtfw7ojh3.jpg

jp02u31kdxhxjc70vdp8.jpg

qjuqh54qmu76s05bsxh.jpg

6ejwp61bcr6dcftzdjo.jpg

I filled the cavity with ShoeGoo and then applied pressure using my cycling trouser clips and strong gorilla duct tape
xfofxehbkqw8ldh5906i.jpg

ukgom3mkrzks2rhqb4.jpg

I also smeared ShoeGoo over the rubber rand to stop it from cracking further. On the other boot I used Mcnett freesole for comparison.
6ps64wsknajknagzw0.jpg

You'd never know the toe of the sole ever had that dreadful gap.
g3xh9nlz2kej7gph4y.jpg

As you will agree the Mcnett freesole looks a lot nicer than the ShoeGoo below. I found the McNett freesole to be much easier to smear and manipulate. The ShoeGoo is very difficult to work with and I will now only be using it as a cavity filler, and use the McNett for jobs that will effect the aesthetics of the boot.
nxxw6lxjnoixc1vfk2by.jpg

5d57rl3tyrenv2dxww5o.jpg

Now for the Merrell ugg boots...

The problem with these was the toe and heel area of the sole were badly worn, so I thorughly cleaned the uppers and soles and filled the cavities with ShoeGoo as well as used the ShoeGoo to "build-up" the worn treads then left to dry for 24 hours.

I then began work building up the worn area of the sole. I could of simply used the ShoeGoo to do this but instead I ordered a 20x20cm square of 2mm thick rubber from eBay and cut shaped pieces to fit the areas of the sole that had worn down.

Roughen up the sufaces of the sole of the boot and the piece of rubber. Make sure to abrade both sides of the rubber as well as all sides becuase you will have to "bury" the rubber in the ShoeGoo once it has been stuck down in the place it needs to be. Thoroughly clean with rubbing alcohol before applying the ShoeGoo
3da5fd6bfhth4lw79j53.jpg

mu81v6cejkwlg7hyg8h.jpg

nj760wdluok4d2vvspwy.jpg

Rinse and repeat for the front of the sole and any other badly worn areas
4pafi6r1u6v1t46pxm1.jpg

Bury the rubber repairs in a generous serving the the ShoeGoo and take you time to ensure there is lots of glue on all the sides and corners for better durability.
affcyj2miblv4kqdf43.jpg

Leave to dry for at least 24 hours so the glue "cures" proeprly. The carpenters pencil is there to apply extra pressure the piece of rubber on the toe area of the sole. I ended up using about 6 of my fingers to hold down each corner of the other rubber repairs for as long as I could bear, which succesfuly stuck them down just fine.
lxlgglda1ktf5wuc69v7.jpg

Will let you all know if the repair lasts!

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Just be a bit careful when repairing the rubber soles of footwear with these kinds of products. I've found that the repaired area is long-lasting and durable, but sometimes doesn't have the grip of the original sole material in wet conditions.

Just my experience

Rat

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Just be a bit careful when repairing the rubber soles of footwear with these kinds of products. I've found that the repaired area is long-lasting and durable, but sometimes doesn't have the grip of the original sole material in wet conditions.

Just my experience

Rat

Thanks for the tip.

A week of use she says some of the glue is coming away and when I inspected the soles it was just the small areas I hastily glued and didn't bother to roughen the surface before applying, which just goes to show just how important it is to properly prepare the surfaces you intend to glue. All other repairs are holding perfectly well!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE