Lowa GTX Mountain Boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kaizersoza

Trekking Troubador
Jan 12, 2014
Swansea
Hi Guys

just a short review about my new Lowa GTX Mountain Boots, I bought them for £100 on ebay, they were brand new, I have worn them walking the dog and on a couple of 3-5 mile walks and its true what they say, they don't need breaking in they are comfortable straight out of the box, the shape of the vibram sole seems to encourage you to walk, although they weigh around 2 kilo's a pair, you don't feel this weight when they are on your feet, after walking a while they don't seem like they are on your feet at all, they are 'THE' most comforable walking boots that I have owned and will probably last longer than me lol,

they are well made, robust, with a goretex lining making them waterproof and warm, the lace up system cinches up tightly and securely around the foot and ankle giving the ankle incredible support, the boots I bought were the extra wide fitting boots and I am so glad they are because I think if I had bought the regular width fitting they would have needed breaking in, I have watched some you tube vids on these about how to proof them and a lot of gus are using dubbing, I personally don't think that they need waterproofing having got mine soaked a few time my feet remained completely dry, so I am just going to stick with a clean and polish and not start baking the boots in my oven

So overall I am very pleased with these boots indeed, I took a chance buying them on ebay due to size and width because I was buying blind, but sometimes it is true, that old saying of 'Who Dares Wins' to buy them from a shop they range in price from about £130-£170 in the UK, so for once I have had a complete bargain

ATB Kaizer

boots1.jpgboots2.jpgboots3.jpg

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I'd definitely go along with that Kaizer (good find btw!) These have been my go-to boots for some years, especially for conditions where it might be wet, muddy and/or cold (with the addition of some Lowa winter insoles). I'd agree that they are comfortable from new. I've never had wet feet in them either.

As to looking after them I use Ledergris or just ordinary Kiwi polish if I run out. Been fine so far!

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I've got the GTX Combat version, (£120 at Polmil) and have to agree.. they are the best and most comfy boots I've ever owned. They are worn daily through out the winter. They are a snug but not tight fit and after four years hard wear have never caused a blister or made my feet sore.... I went up half a size when ordering as I'd read they come up on the small side.. this I agree with and when I finally order another pair I might go for the wide version so I can wear extra socks in the winter.

After four years mine are till completely waterproof (I waded though a flooded track this week with water up to my ankles and not a drop got in.)

Carewise: I usually clean off the dirt with a wet cloth and then when they've dried out give them a polish with black boot wax, before applying some G-Wax to help avoid the leather from cracking.

I'm not a huge fan of the hook type speed lacing, and I've seen from internet photos they exist with D-ring eylets too, which I think I'd prefer.

The only sign of wear is on the sole where the cushioned part meets the toe protection.. This is starting to come unstuck slightly, probably due to knelling down in the dirt... I've read other reviews that have cited this and the rand as weak points that can come unstuck.

I know the boots can be resoled... I guess ultimately I'd look at this option, but all will depend on cost as I imagine they would need to be shipped to Germany for the operation, as I doubt they have a place here in France to do the work. Whether this would be cost effective I don't yet know. I can't imagine a resoling with shipping costing less than 150 Euros so new boots may well be a better option.

anyway glad you got a good deal on your boots...

cheers
Gareth

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Great boots that will keep the weather out 24/7, and keep your feet warm and dry.
The only drawback i have found with mine is that the Vibram sole can be a bit of a let down when climbing damp and mossy rocky terrain, but all, a superb boot, and particularly at the price you managed to pay off The Bay.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Great boots that will keep the weather out 24/7, and keep your feet warm and dry.
The only drawback i have found with mine is that the Vibram sole can be a bit of a let down when climbing damp and mossy rocky terrain, but all, a superb boot, and particularly at the price you managed to pay off The Bay.

Having owned and used a pair of these for the last 7 years,in extended heavy use, I can confirm the rugged and weatherproof qualities of the boot, as well as the comfort and build quality.

However, given the implied suitability of these boots for "mountain" use, I have to say that in my experience, they are not really fit for their implied purpose. :(

The reason, is the shocking propensity for the sole units to lose grip on anything more slippery than damp, rough rock. If you try to cross anything slimy or even frosty, you'll lose grip rapidly. Mossy, lichen covered rock in damp conditions, for example crossing the frequent small streams that run across mountain paths, is every bit as bad as wet ice. They're okay (ish) in muddy conditions but very much overrated for typical "mountain" conditions.

To be fair, it could well be that they've upgraded the sole unit in the last few years but I can't help but wonder what happened, to make them move away from the units they used in their 1990's vintage boots, which always seemed to stick like sxxt to a blanket till they wore out completely and became racing slicks.

Good boots on the face of it but not "mountain" boots.

Steve

kaizersoza

Trekking Troubador
Jan 12, 2014
Swansea
Hi all,

thanks for the replies, I haven't been up any mountains in them yet, so cannot comment, they certainly look rugged enough, but there is no better measure than someone who has actually used them for this purpose, they have only had light use up to now with me, they have incredible ankle support and my ankles/feet feel snug and comfortable whilst they are on, I will be using them mainly for hiking, I walked the Gower Way last year for charity (35 miles) and my feet were full of blisters at the end, despite taping them up with oxide tape, I am planning a longer distance walk this year and didn't want a repeat of that, hence the Lowa's, they might get a bimble up to Pen-Y-Fan at some point this year as well

Its been great reading your replies guys, much appreciated, all good information for anyone interested in buying these boots, from members who have used them for years in some extreme environments ATB Kaizer

Fell Monkey

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2012
South Cheshire
I have had said boots for about 10 months and used them extensively for walking. Im quite impressed with them, as are most people who have them. Personally for long distance if I can get away with wearing my fell running trainers I do, depends on the underfoot conditions, if so I Vaseline my feet.

Mar 7, 2012
kent
I agree had these boots for just under a year another great e bay buy at £90 comfy no need to be broken in but do agree with the point about grip could be a lot better bit of damp moss or similar and slip way to easy, reminds me of when I used to go ice skating but other than that great boots.poking forward to years of adventures in them. As for care clean and polish as and when and once a year saddl soap and polish to help keep them clean and supple

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
I get them issued in the army due to an accident I had years ago (I fell off an Bedford mk and done my knee in).
I love them really comfortable just like slippers. And I have just been issued with my first Brown pair

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
I get them issued in the army due to an accident I had years ago (I fell off an Bedford mk and done my knee in).
I love them really comfortable just like slippers. And I have just been issued with my first Brown pair

Are you sure they are Lowa?

I have not seen Lowa boots issued for some time, Hanwag replaced them years ago and the brown issued boots are different contracted brands, but none are Lowa (i.e. Lowa are not in the contract).

It has been discussed on bcuk here: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102193&page=3

I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, but I suspect your issued brown winter boots are a different brand.

Last edited:

Rabid

Nomad
Dec 15, 2014
Sleaford Lincolnshire
Are you sure they are Lowa?

I have not seen Lowa boots issued for some time, Hanwag replaced them years ago and the brown issued boots are different contracted brands, but none are Lowa (i.e. Lowa are not in the contract).

It has been discussed on bcuk here: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102193&page=3

I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, but I suspect your issued brown winter boots are a different brand.

I was issued Lowa boots as my physiotherapist said that they would support my ankle injury far better than issue boots.
You are correct in saying that thyey are not on general issue but as a "prescription" for treatment to an injury.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
I was issued Lowa boots as my physiotherapist said that they would support my ankle injury far better than issue boots.
You are correct in saying that thyey are not on general issue but as a "prescription" for treatment to an injury.

Same here :)

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire

Hmm, the prescription system has been canned, maybe someone has just used a GPC card without realising.

Not that it matters to me or anyone else, I only noticed and commented as I know the problems a couple of my guys have had with getting the boots they wanted.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
The boots are very good, I paid full price for them at a shop. I never got a blister once. I wore them all the time and had them for about 2 and half years. Unfortunately I didn't look after them well and the leather began to split, I wore them in all conditions and the heels were worn out. I did feel much lighter on my feet when I changed to trainers though.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
If you get a chance try the Supercamp boots. There are 2 versions. The older are fully leather lined and very comfy, the newer half leather/half fabric. Both dry quicker than the mountain boot since they don't have the goretex but are just as waterproof if well polished or greased.

Tonyuk.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE