Lowa boots failure

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Last week I did a trip into the Black Mountains, in some of the coldest weather I have hiked in. I suffered a failure of a metal eyelet on my Lowa boots, presumably due to cold.

16367705945_fc7ea7d8a7_b.jpg

16366813812_d081e223da_b.jpg

This particular make of boots (a non-goretex one) is a discontinued line, so I have to look at repairs instead.

Any recommendations?

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Remove the broken half of the eyelet but leave the riveted part in place. Thread some 2mm or 3mm cord through the remaining part of the eyelet and tie off in a short loop.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Remove the broken half of the eyelet but leave the riveted part in place. Thread some 2mm or 3mm cord through the remaining part of the eyelet and tie off in a short loop.

That would work, though I will look at a proper repair too.

By the way, the boots are not as neglected as the picture makes them look. The shot is a close-up which magnifies the superficial marks on the leather, and they have been drying gently after last week's trip. They will be fully cleaned and proofed etc tomorrow.

http://www.bootrepaircompany.co.uk

I had to get my Lowa Mountain GTX resoled. I came across the company above after lots of searching and a huge range in prices.

Genuine vibram soles fitted £45 + pp

What a great service.

You pay the DPD pp.
The boot repair co send you a DPD bag
You call them and they arrange pickup of your boots
A few days later DPD delivery resoled boots.

Not only resoled but polished and replete with new laces and a boot bag.

Highly recommend it. I was quoted upwards of £85 and a similar £45 for non vibram soles.

Windy frae The Filterhoose.

I post this a while back.

Windy

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Now that's a good question. I wonder if I still have the box that they came in...

if the repair option doesn't turn out to be viable, Lowa still make non goretex boots - possibly they have changed the name of the model since you bought yours? The current german mountain boot style (if that is what yours are), with no goretex lining is called the Patrol boot: http://www.patrolstore.com/Lowa-Boots-Patrol-p-613.html or the 'Supercamp': http://www.copshopuk.com/lowa-super-camp-boot?gclid=CKe5wsfnscMCFcSWtAod2y4ARg

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
That is a simple repair for any real cobbler, even the high street offerings should be able to fix that pending availability of parts. The boot repair company are good but sending to them should be a last resort dues to costs.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Thats a bog-standard rivet with a fancy-looking eyelet. Easily repaired by a craftsman, if you do not mind that the replaced part will look a bit different.

Last edited:

MarkN

Jan 13, 2015
Dorset
A similar thing happened to my Meidl Desert boots. An eye popped out while doing the laces up. I took them to my local shop, they sent them to Meindl and two weeks later I received a brand new pair of boots. Great service. I would hope that Lowa would offer you a similar service.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE