Lowa Boot Treatment From New.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi,

I was given a new pair of Lowa Mountain Boots for Christmas which were purchased from Silvermans in London.

(Boot info here)

Over the years I have become accustomed to using Nikwax as my regular boot treatment and was about to treat my new Lowas when I decided to read the gaurantee. Lowa state that the boots should be treated with "impregnation spray" as described on Silvermans site: -

"Leather Water Stop is an environmentally
friendly pump action impregnation spray
suitable for all types of leather
(suede, smooth leather, velour leather
& artificial leather) & textile
combinations.
LOWA Leather Water Stop keeps the
material waterproof, supple & dirt
resistant whilst retaining its
breathability."

Anyway I've just ordered the full range of Lowa boot care products but I was interested to know what you guys think? Does anybody have any first hand experience with Lowa boot care?

Phil.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hi TMKTC.
I have two pairs of Lowa boots that I wear every day at work all year round. They take a bit of time from new to wear in as they are quality items. I put Oakwood Leather Conditioner on them from time to time. This keeps them supple and waterproof. This is particularly recommended for goretex boots. I have two pairs and this enables me to dry, clean and re proof the ones that I am not wearing. Consequently my feet are comfortable, dry and my boots are in good order and will last a long time.
Swyn.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
I've got Lowa boots for 2 years now. There made of leather and have gore tex. I use snoseal to make them waterproof. Dont use to much of it. a very thin layer is enough. You don't want to impregnate the gore tex. I also used the nikwax products on other boots I've got. They would do a job as good as the snoseal or the lowa products.
I hope you have a great time with the boots.

Michiel

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Well, this is what I do and urge our customers to do with their new boots (which they invariably choose not to and so I can sell them new ones before it would have been really necessary):
Forget the spray. It may impregnate and keep the leather´s surface as it comes out of factory for a while, but it dosnt "feed" the leather as much as needed.
Use a wax. Nikwax, Snoseal, Grangers etc and use it more often than you may think it is needed. I have yet to see a boot being "overwaxed", but lots with dry and brittle leather.
Wrap a small rag around a finger and apply a thin layer everywhere. Repeat. Extra on the seams. More on the toebox than on the heel.
Rub it in with the finger and leave the excess on the outside, it will protect the leather´s surface against water, dirt, minor scratches. It wont clog the lining (unless you use a hairdryer which you shouldnt), but as the leather takes as much as it needs, any superfluous wax will stay on the outside.
After use, use brush and water to remove all dirt. Remove the insole and loosen the laces all the way down. The latter is very important, because, if there is still some tension on the last loops at the toebox, the wet leather may shrink a little bit, a lot over the years and develop deep crinkles. Instead, stuff it with newspaper till they are dry and store them stuffed with dry newspaper.
If you notice rough, dry leather, re-apply wax.
Care for the lining is also needed. Since sweat is very agressive it should be washed out occassionally. With Goretex lining, simply fill the boot with (barely) warm water and let it soak. Rinse several times and let it dry. Dito Leather-lined boots, but a few drops of a neutral soap (curd soap?) should be added. After drying, apply some skin-cream to the leather inside. (This is what manufacturers like Lowa, Hanwag and Meindl recommend since about three years).
Store the boots cool and dry and never close to any kind of chemicals, since these will destroy glue, rubber etc.
If cared for, a boot will make it through at least one re-soling and be its money worth.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE