coming from old school, like to be informed about "new" school

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bert

Forager
Mar 24, 2016
middle of france
Hello all,

About 20 years ago I was in the (not UK) army, we had mostly cotton underwear, and cotton/poly shirts and trousers, we also used the layering system.

Now we are 20 years further, it seems (from reading) that the US army adapted a whole new clothing line and even the UK army is all into the new tunics...

And me? I could do still with the old scool layering system, but some of my Items are worn, and I can't replace them no more.

for example: our army (the dutch) had such nice army boots, real leather, nicely lined with a very fine withish leather, and once broken in, I could not have any better boots, my feet were healty, never smelly and so on, then the day came that my last pair the queen gave me were worn beyound repair, and I had to ditch them:sadwavey:

Then I bought another pair I found in a dump store and they were in a nice brown box:banghead: and I started to wear them.
after two days I noticed they were not the same as the originals!!! and yes, after telephoning with the shopkeeper it was clear, Taiwaneese copies:AR15firin

the next day I gave them away.

A few weeks later, I came about a pair of altberg's, the boots they make for the army now, and I bought them.
to start with, they had no half sizes, but taking the lower size in Wide, and then add a provided spacer sole, that should solve the problem??? Ok, I broke them in, use the proper care system, and have to say, once broken in, they are SOOO nice! comfortable and all, but in general, they still are a bit short for me (theirs size system doesn't work for me!), and after a day use, my feet are moist, and so is the boot, especially between the insole and the bottom, and that starts to smell a bit moldy, For the first time in my life!

maybe I'm dooing something wrong? (please advise)

My point; I like the ex army stuff, because it is so durable! and is comfortable to wear (nice roomy cut)
though I realise that my experiences are 20 years old...
And I never used nor was instructed about how to use modern day's issued clothing systems.

I really like to know more about if these modern materials are good, how and when to use them and so on, would that be possible here?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Hi Bert,
Altbergs do come in half sizes, and are an excellent boot, but they do run warm. They can be purchased without the liner, as a special order, or the model known as the "peacekeeper" does come as standard unlined.
Meindl desert boots are excellent, my son wore them during his tour of Afghanistan, & when he got back, he rated them highly. Haix boots are also very good quality, I'm currently wearing a pair, they took no breaking in & are comfy all day.
For leather lined boots, you should have a look at the German para boots, they are also comfy & long lasting.

Rob

Tim B

Oct 26, 2013
North Cornwall
Hi Bert. A company called Hanwag make a leather lined boot in black or brown called the special forces LX. I really rate the pair I've got.
Cheers Tim

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I never had a problem with army kit I wore 25 year s ago even the 1st edition high legs were still the best. Maybe modern kit isn't all it should be or made cheaply and poorly made. Even wearing modern mtp kit just doesn't feel well made to last.

Jan 3, 2016
Buckinghamshire
The Altbergs where perhaps Gortex lined. Gortex does for some people soak the feet in sweat.

Lowa make some very good Boots that are not lined with Gortex; Uplander Desert Boot, Elite Desert Boot, Patrol Boot, Super Camp Boot. They are all Military spec, worn by the Sqaddies on operations. Here you are, check this link... https://www.lowamilitaryboots.com/black-lowa-military-boots. Plenty of High grade Boots not lined with Gortex.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Bert, I am incredibly similar to you. Same problems with the new stuff.

You can still buy "oldfashined" uniform parts including boots from Scandinavian surplus stores. The Swedish Army, which I belonged for a couple of years, switched to modern, more synthetic, fabrics with Uniform M-90.
What you want belongs to Uniform M/59. Made from pure, virgin quality cotton.. If you are a bit masochistic, get stuff belonging to the winter uniform Uniform M/58 which is made from the scratchiest wool they could find on Earth!

The old, pre 1980 Swedish Army boots are what you are looking for. But they are not lined, just one layer of top quality leather ezcept where the wear was heavy.
Personally I disliked them, I used privately bought US made RedWings. Still have them. 35 years old and on the third Vibram soles!
The Finnish Army had similar equipment. Not as good of course, but almost...
:)

Some of their clothes were made in Sweden I think I remember? Not sure which though. I am sure "perkele Martti" can tell.

The Swdish M/39 had some fantastic bits too, buy I do not think you can get those anymore.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE