Boot Care Lowa GTX and Altberg Defenders

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nedkelly

Mar 20, 2014
jhbasvdmnxm
Hello everyone!
I hope I've put this in the correct category:confused:

Anyway, Im looking for some advice regarding boot care.

I have a pair of Lowa GTX mountain boots.

I normally just apply kiwi black polish before putting them away.
However Ive noticed some light cracking in the leather and the toe seems to always be scuffed backed to grey after each trip,
Should I be applying something else?
Also, How should i clean the inside GTX part of the boot?

I have recently bought some 2nd hand Altberg defenders in MOD brown.
They are slightly too big in the right boot with normal socks.
I am planning on buying issue socks and new insoles - recommendations?
Should i purchase the original or extreme leder gris in brown or clear?

Does anyone have any recommendations for brushes for cleaning, applying polish/wax, buffing?

Apologies for the naivety of the topic:dunno:

many thanks:)

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I like the Leder Gris original for everyday use, the Extreme is intended for refurbishing dried out leather so that might be exactly what you need. They recommend not using the Extreme on a regular basis because it can soften the leather too much.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
For all my leather boots, whether the nubuck/suede bits, or split leather, I use exactly the same method.

Clean with a damp sponge using saddle soap, allow to dry naturally, then rub in *neatsfoot oil with your fingers, allow to dry naturally, finally rub in graingers beeswax Gwax layer with your fingers.

*dont go mad with the neatsfoot oil as it softens the leather quite a bit, so just use it periodically, every few months, like youre supposed to use a leather conditioner.

This is the best method Ive found, and its cheaper than buying all the branded waxes, polishes etc.

My lowa goretex cracked years ago, but they're still waterproof, and the crack hasnt got any worse. I think using silicone based polishes may have had something to do with it, but dont know for certain.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You didn't say just how old your boots are or how hard you wear them. Even the best of boots with the best of care will eventually wear out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE