Low Fat Scotch Eggs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
Well as low fat as Scotch Eggs can be :D

Thought I'd share this really quick recipe that makes 4 large ones

6 sausages (1 pack)
8 teaspoons of sage and onion stuffing mix (optional... add whatever additional flavours you'd like or non at all :))
4 hard boiled eggs
1 extra egg beaten
some flour for dusting (doesn't matter which kind)
Breadcrumbs (4 crusts of homemade wholemeal I 'whizzed' in the food processor)

Skin the sausages (or use sausagemeat if you prefer)
Mix in the sage and onion stuffing mix
Divide into 4
Dust your hands well with flour (so the sausagemeat doesn't stick) and roll each piece in the flour and flatten with your hands so that you can shape it around your boiled egg
Pinch to seal well around your boiled egg and shape into a round
Now 'dunk' your scotch egg in your beaten egg so it's completely covered
Roll in your breadcrumbs pushing them on firmly
Place in an ovenproof dish
Drizzle lightly with a little bit of oil
Bake in a medium oven until brown and crispy (approx 45mins to 1 hr) You don't want your breadcrumbs to burn before your sausage is cooked
Enjoy :D

Even better the next day cold if there are any left :rolleyes:

IMG_5191_zps9064a153.jpg

I would have taken more pics but they were so quick to make I forgot, sorry.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks for posting this. I'm making them (in an expanded quantity) for the Church pot luck next Sunday.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
They look fantastic! Disappoint it was bought in meat and not butchered from a full pig as before :) kidding, they do look really good!

The connoisseurs question is which condiment did you eat them with? Sweet chilli sauce or Tabasco chipotle are my favs!

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
johnnytheboy I've now done 3 half pigs and still enjoying the learning process :D

Note to self though, stop telling friends and family what I'm doing and then they might last a bit longer... lol...

And if the ingredients are good to begin with (new farm shop opened up near me) why would I add anything else... :rolleyes:

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
Dave-the-rave...

Baked beans, homemade coleslaw, fresh bread and butter and homemade potato wedges is just what I had... lol...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
rik_uk3 you fill your arteries my friend :D

Nope, my cholesterol is checked regularly and is very good, lard and beef dripping is fantastic to cook with just don't do it everyday.

Oh, its OK to use butter these days, turns out you don't drop dead after eating a round of buttered toast :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE