Rabbit Pie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
As requested, the best rabbit pie in the history of pies, and rabbits, by my wife:

RABBIT PIE

Ingredients

For filling
I large or two small wild rabbits
I large carrot, diced
I large onion, finely chopped
2 desert apples, preferably Cox's, peeled and chopped into large chunks
1 tbsp plain flour or more if necessary to make a roux
1 1/2 pints cooking liquor
12 pitted prunes, each wrapped in unsmoked streaky bacon (just enough for a thin single layer).
1 oz butter
1 tbsp olive oil
Freshly grated nutmeg

For cooking liquor
3/4 pint dry cider
3/4 pint chicken stock
1 large carrot, 1 large onion and 1 celery sock, all roughly chopped
10 whole black peppercorns
2 bay leaves
A sprig each of thyme and rosemary (pinch of dried will do)

For pastry
8oz plain flour
6oz butter
pinch of salt
Iced water
1 beaten egg

Method
Mix all the cooking liquor ingredients in a large casserole. Cut the rabbit/rabbits in half or quarters to fit into the pan submerged by the liquor. Cook, covered in the oven at 160c until tender - between 1-2 hours. Leave to cool - the flavour improves if you cook the rabbit the night before making the pie.

Once cool, remove the rabbit, and drain briefly in a sieve over a large bowl. Remove all bones from the rabbit and cut into large chunks. Put them in a large pie dish along with the prunes and apples.

Pour the cooking liquor through the sieve, discarding the vegetables etc.and make up to 1 1/2 pints with extra cider if necessary.

Gently fry the carrot and onion in the butter and oil until soft, then add enough of the flour to make a roux. Cook for about three minutes until the flour is golden. Ad the reserved liquor and cook until the sauce is thickened. Grate in a little fresh nutmeg, and pour over the rabbit, apple and prune mixture in the dish - leave to cool.

When cool put on a pastry lid and egg wash.

Bought puff pastry is fine, but this is tastier

Flaky pastry
Wrap butter in foil and freeze for at least an hour
Sift the flour and salt in a bowl
Using a coarse grater, grate the butter directly into the bowl - pulling back the foil as you go obviously!
Then as quickly as possible mix the butter into the flour with a knife.
Add iced water, a little at a time, still mixing with a knife, until the dough leaves the side of a bowl. Then very briefly form into a ball, wrap in cling film and chill for a minimum of 30 minutes.

Ideally place a pie funnel in the middle of the dish. Roll out the pastry very quickly and cover the pie dish. Use any trimmings for decorations. Brush with the beaten egg.

Bake at 190c for about 30 minutes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE