Low carb camping scoff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
As a guide

5000 mg of sodium (not just salt)
1000 mg of potassium, in the form of potassium chloride or potassium sulfate
300 mg of magnesium, preferably in the form of magnesium citrate

All these electrolytes should be preferably consumed in addition from what you get from your food.

Most of us will not reach these suggested totals with food alone, but there are several ways to ingest extra electrolytes:

Drink 1 or 2 cups of bouillon or broth daily
Add salt and/or salt substitute to your food
Take a multivitamin containing magnesium and/or potassium
Add a teaspoon of salt and/or salt substitute to a large glass of water and drink it
This advice comes from a ketogenic diet site
https://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/

The US recommendations for an adult male are:

Sodium 1500 mg/day (1.5grams / day)
Salt ( table salt, sea salt, kosher salt) contain just under 0.4 grams of Sodium per gram do you are talking a tad more than 3 grams salt per day.

Potassium 4700 mg/day (4.7 grams / (day)

Magnesium 420 mg/day (0.42 grams per day)

When checking stuff like this please use medical ( real medical) sites!

To eat more than 10 grams of salt per day is absolutely not healthy!
Of course, if you do a lot of physical work and swear a lot then increase your intake.
Do not firget that normal, unprocessed food ( meat, eggs, veg and fruit contain naturally all minerals and vitamins, so a varied diet s sufficient.

The most importand vitamin most people living in the sun starved part of the world is Vitamin D.
Most people of African heritage living north of Chicago have a lack of Vit D. as their skin acts as a natural barrier.
This applies to people of southern European heritage ( "Hispanics" in the US ) but less than them.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You can find sausages here that contain as little as 35% meat. And plenty of their sort too. No need asking what the rest might be.

Probably lips and aholes

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

In sausages such as the old (pre 1950s) hotdogs, yes. But technically those are meat (although with few exceptions, not a meat I'd care to eat. They're still found in "head cheese." I think y'all call it "scouse." None of them contain any carbs though. I have to be especially careful to get products that are Gluten Free so that prohibits most grains from the start.

When I slow roast my pork I skim off the fat ( drippings) and use instead of butter on bread.
Also the left over juices and fat in the pan I use this way. In room temperature ( 78 F) it melts.......

......Sometimes I render fat by slow boiling pork fat with the skin, and add finely chopped pork crackling, salt and caraway seeds. Again, it melts in room temperature.....

.....Pork fat is maybe not so healthy but so delicious!

Yeah, it is delicious. However 78f is warmer than "room temp." Official "room temperature" is 72f. (yeah, I know the definition www.miriam-webster.com/medical/roomtemperature gives a range of from 59f to 77f but for study and experimental purposes we are taught 72f even) Like I said, it's not far from the melting point.

Sausages in UK are made from a raw meat/ rusks and spices mixture. The sausages in the rest of the Wirld are already cooked, type Frankfurters.
This difference makes a discussion difficult.

Not all of our sausages are pre-cooked; although the hotdogs and smokes sausages are. Boudin, Italian sausages, alligator/crawfish sausages, etc. are usually raw as are bratwurst.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
In sausages such as the old (pre 1950s) hotdogs, yes. But technically those are meat (although with few exceptions, not a meat I'd care to eat. They're still found in "head cheese." I think y'all call it "scouse." None of them contain any carbs though. I have to be especially careful to get products that are Gluten Free so that prohibits most grains from the start.

Yeah, it is delicious. However 78f is warmer than "room temp." Official "room temperature" is 72f. (yeah, I know the definition www.miriam-webster.com/medical/roomtemperature gives a range of from 59f to 77f but for study and experimental purposes we are taught 72f even) Like I said, it's not far from the melting point.

Not all of our sausages are pre-cooked; although the hotdogs and smokes sausages are. Boudin, Italian sausages, alligator/crawfish sausages, etc. are usually raw as are bratwurst.

78 is what my worn joints and neck like so that is what I have the heating (Sweden, UK) and AC ( here) set on.

Bratwurst is cooked, the German original one at least.
Man, I would love to taste the aligator and crawfish sausages!

In Sweden pre EU "meat" was legally all soft tissue from the animal. I do not know if the EU regs are different.
I used to know a guy that owned a delicatessen and sausage factory in Sweden. His (cooked) sausages contained about 90% muscle meat and fat. Fatty cuts. Delicious, but very expensive .

I make my own sausages, of the unsmoked sort. Base receipe is 2/3 lean meat, 1/3 fat. Then I add spices, maybe apple, or leeks.
One, my favourite, is made from pork and chicken lean meat, pork fat, white wine, and spices.
It is the Czech Vinná Klobása.
I do not add any fillers like flour or rusks. You could eat those! 100 % Gluten Free!

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
78 is what my worn joints and neck like so that is what I have the heating (Sweden, UK) and AC ( here) set on....

Yeah we all have our preferences. if I could afford the bills I'd set the air conditioners much lower in Summer. But neither of our preferences are the "standard."

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....Bratwurst is cooked, the German original one at least.
Man, I would love to taste the aligator and crawfish sausages!......

We can get brats pre-cooked as well, but the standard is for fresh brats to be cooked at home, unless you're talking about street food vendors obviously. Alligator and crawfish sausage is good :) but pricey :(

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....In Sweden pre EU "meat" was legally all soft tissue from the animal. I do not know if the EU regs are different.
I used to know a guy that owned a delicatessen and sausage factory in Sweden. His (cooked) sausages contained about 90% muscle meat and fat. Fatty cuts. Delicious, but very expensive .

I make my own sausages, of the unsmoked sort. Base receipe is 2/3 lean meat, 1/3 fat. Then I add spices, maybe apple, or leeks.
One, my favourite, is made from pork and chicken lean meat, pork fat, white wine, and spices.
It is the Czech Vinná Klobása.
I do not add any fillers like flour or rusks. You could eat those! 100 % Gluten Free!

Yours and your Swedish friend's sound great! By the way, I'm not the Celiac. I can eat gluten (not that it sounds good in sausage though) but I have to also shop for my daughter as we share many meals.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
To be honest most of our sausage and our taste in sausage is influence more by eastern central and Europe than the UK (we had loads of Polish, and German immigrants in the early years, and Italians later) The Cajun boudin would be the nod to French influence. Our small(ish) breakfast links would be a not to the chipolatas I had in the UK although I believe even they are of French origin?

Our favorite wood for smoking (hickory) would be an entirely American thing though. Or possibly the North American continent?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Same names but slightly different foods! That is one of the joys moving to different countries like I have done, years of surprises!

Not wanting to be disrespectful, but British culinary traditions are horrible. No smoked meats, weird seasonings.
Most tasty food has immigrant origin.

I am personally slightly affected by Celiac disease. Lowest grade. Highly Lactose intolerant though. But proper matured cheese is ok.

Where in Florida can you buy the Gator/crawfish sausages?

I am going to the Miami / Ft Laud. area soon, to have 4 lovely days of medical exams done. Invasive and non invasive.
Plus shopping ( Bass Pro, IKEA, West Marine, Lou's Police Supply plus some for the wife. Shoes and crap she does not really need.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
To be honest most of our sausage and our taste in sausage is influence more by eastern central and Europe than the UK (we had loads of Polish, and German immigrants in the early years, and Italians later) The Cajun boudin would be the nod to French influence. Our small(ish) breakfast links would be a not to the chipolatas I had in the UK although I believe even they are of French origin?

Our favorite wood for smoking (hickory) would be an entirely American thing though. Or possibly the North American continent?

I use hickory too. In Sweden I used Juniper. If hickory grew in Europe we would use it first hand. Excellent flavour!
Mesquite is a bit exotic for my palate.

Boudin Blanc and Boudin Noir are my French favourites. Do not like the one made with pigs intestines.

I make my own Head Cheese, in fact made some a few days ago. Love a slice or two for breakfast with Wasa Sourdough cracker bread, drizzled with Apple Cider Vinegar.
Dog ( a Cocker Spaniel, 12) loves it too.
I use Cow Foot ( cut up bovine feet) and lean pork chops.
Cow Foot is eaten in the English Caribbean, so it is cheap -ish. Pigs Foot ( trotters) are ok too, but I prefer the bovine.

A friend ( no, has no Green Card!) from gun club sometimes helps friends slaughter pigs. Next time I will come with him.
I want the blood ( will make Blutwurst) and head ( head cheese and Czech "Ovar).

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Same names but slightly different foods! That is one of the joys moving to different countries like I have done, years of surprises!

I am personally slightly affected by Celiac disease. Lowest grade. Highly Lactose intolerant though. But proper matured cheese is ok.

Where in Florida can you buy the Gator/crawfish sausages?

I am going to the Miami / Ft Laud. area soon, to have 4 lovely days of medical exams done. Invasive and non invasive.
Plus shopping ( Bass Pro, IKEA, West Marine, Lou's Police Supply plus some for the wife. Shoes and crap she does not really need.

I don't know about South Florida but here in the Panhandle Winn Dixie carries the gator and crawfish sausages. Sometimes so does Publix. In either case theyt'll be in small (about a pound) cryo-vac type packages and you won't have a choice whether they're frsh or cured (the crawfish or a combo of the two will likely be cured whereas the gator might be either)

Good luck with your medical tests (apparently you have some faith in our medical system. LOL) and with your other endeavors; yours and your wife's.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Thank you! Will stop by both Winn Dixie and Publix!

I have several slightly life changing problems, the worst is Diverticulosis and a polyp in my gall bladder. The enlarged Prostate I can live with, the irritable stomach and small intestine too.
The calcification in my left kidney and small cust do not hurt (yet) but needs to be checked too.
Then I need to see the plastic surgeon that removed the agressive ( spread down to the nasal bonr and cartillage) badal cell carcinoma last year.
Just to check all is gone. Then checking my right knee to see how much cartillage I have left and investigate a trapped lumbar nerve.
If I was a cow I would be fit for pet food only!

The US doctors are the closest I trust. Plus, if they do a perforation of my Colon during the colonoscopy I am sure they can operate with a better and more predictable result than locally!

The **** I am suffering and having is a result of two career ending accidents 35 years ago in the Army, plus ****ty genetics.
I have been told my intestinal problems are maybe the result of living off freeze dried rations for most of the 3 Army years.

But we won the Cold War!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Good luck with all of it. Be advised that the exotic sausage items might or might not be as readily available in south Florida as they are here. We're closer to Louisiana and Cajun country so local tastes down there might not be the same?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Not sure about chemical bleaching, but if it is solid in room temperature then it has been chemically altered, hydrogenated.

Any additionsl process will not alter the shelf life of your pemmican. The surface can go rancid after a while, but the fat acts as a barrier for oxygen and prevents spoiling.

Hence the used of fat to preserve food ( the ancient technique of 'potting' meats, shrimp, duck and so on)

Whats the best way to keep your pemmican long term then? just wrapped in greaseproof paper, in a sealed jar? Doesnt sound like vaccum packing is a good idea?

May 17, 2016
Hertfordshire
I'm looking for some advice on what food to carry for a low carb diet when bushcraft /camping. Most boil in the bag or dehydrated meals one can buy from camping shops are based on pasta, rice or oats, so are not an option for someone on a low carb diet.

Many thanks.

Did you decide on anything in the end interested in this myself! Although my hunger for spice usually ends up mixed largely with a carb :confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE