Low carb camping scoff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 14, 2016
North West
I'm looking for some advice on what food to carry for a low carb diet when bushcraft /camping. Most boil in the bag or dehydrated meals one can buy from camping shops are based on pasta, rice or oats, so are not an option for someone on a low carb diet.

Many thanks.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I quite like to carry a couple of Pepperami in my bag for a snack while shooting (field archery). They are a bit fatty, but they keep well in any weather, taste good, and are individually wrapped. The only drawback is the small amount of rubbish to carry out with you.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Pancakes, eggs,milk, bit of flour. Then throw on whatever you fancy to make them savoury or sweet.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Peanut butter.
Tub of MCT Coconut Fat.
All Nuts

Remember you'll get more calorie bang for your buck from Fat , if you zero in on Protein due to the synthesis process you'll always be playing catch up.

Last edited:

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
My preferred walking menu looks like this.
Breakfast: Tea/Coffee and 50cl of full fat milk made from nestle powder. Bacon and eggs. Crisp bread made from seeds and nuts, spread with ghee. (Mix the ghee with nestlepowder and water if you want butter)

Lunch: on the move so usually just a boiled egg and hot or cold beverage.

Dinner: If canned meat works out too heavy, dried jerky, or freeze dried soy steaks or similar. They can get quite tasty if marinated properly. Fried with lots of ghee, and supplemented with any greens foraged during the day. Fresh fish if caught. Usually fresh meat the first evening just to start the trip out on a high note.

More Tea if not knocked out at around 20.00...

All through the day, snacks in the form of nuts will diminish the need for binge eating when stopping. (Bring lots of nuts) I keep them on my belt, and pop a few nuts in and take a sip of water as often as a I feel the urge, but not more often than every 15mins.

I've even found that supplementing the nuts with some dried fruits and berries is ok if I move a lot, without breaking the fat-burning streak.
It should be noted that this regime works for me personally but may not be for everyone. I always have some bodyfat to spare when I go out.

Also, do drink lots of water, or you'll have headaches. Low carb diet uses more water than ordinary food. I drink around 5 litres every day, when walking.

Apr 14, 2016
North West
Thanks people, all useful advice. I was planning on nuts especially, it's more the veg I have an issue with, how to get it? Dried seems an option ( thanks Crosslandkelly), but any other ideas gratefully accepted 🙂

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Also, do drink lots of water, or you'll have headaches. Low carb diet uses more water than ordinary food. I drink around 5 litres every day, when walking.

And remember to add a little salt to your drinks. Low Carb diets benefit from a little additional salt.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
And remember to add a little salt to your drinks. Low Carb diets benefit from a little additional salt.

Huh? IME low carb usually means high meats. Think salted meats like bacon, sausages, hot dogs, jerky, etc. (easpecially the preserved or processed meats for bushcraft) If anything you'd think a low carb diet is already too high in sodium.

Trencakey

Nomad
Dec 25, 2012
Cornwall
As a guide

5000 mg of sodium (not just salt)
1000 mg of potassium, in the form of potassium chloride or potassium sulfate
300 mg of magnesium, preferably in the form of magnesium citrate

All these electrolytes should be preferably consumed in addition from what you get from your food.

Most of us will not reach these suggested totals with food alone, but there are several ways to ingest extra electrolytes:

Drink 1 or 2 cups of bouillon or broth daily
Add salt and/or salt substitute to your food
Take a multivitamin containing magnesium and/or potassium
Add a teaspoon of salt and/or salt substitute to a large glass of water and drink it
This advice comes from a ketogenic diet site
https://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As a guide

5000 mg of sodium (not just salt)
1000 mg of potassium, in the form of potassium chloride or potassium sulfate
300 mg of magnesium, preferably in the form of magnesium citrate

All these electrolytes should be preferably consumed in addition from what you get from your food.

Most of us will not reach these suggested totals with food alone, but there are several ways to ingest extra electrolytes:

Drink 1 or 2 cups of bouillon or broth daily
Add salt and/or salt substitute to your food
Take a multivitamin containing magnesium and/or potassium
Add a teaspoon of salt and/or salt substitute to a large glass of water and drink it
This advice comes from a ketogenic diet site
https://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/

Actually the recommended level is much lower than that (less than half that to be precise) at only 2300 mg. And that is supposed to include the sodium already in your food (which usually makes up more than 73% of that allowance for those who eat lots of "processed foods' like bacon, jerky, sausages, etc.) http://www.livestrong.com/article/348216-the-fda-recommended-sodium-intake/

Last edited:

Trencakey

Nomad
Dec 25, 2012
Cornwall
Actually the recommended level is much lower than that (less than half that to be precise) at only 2300 mg. And that is supposed to include the sodium already in your food (which usually makes up more than 73% of that allowance for those who eat lots of "processed foods' like bacon, jerky, sausages, etc.) http://www.livestrong.com/article/348216-the-fda-recommended-sodium-intake/

For normal balanced diet yes agreed but for low carb/
keto you need additional sodium.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Huh? IME low carb usually means high meats. Think salted meats like bacon, sausages, hot dogs, jerky, etc. (easpecially the preserved or processed meats for bushcraft) If anything you'd think a low carb diet is already too high in sodium.

Then thats where you are wrong. Most Ketogenic diets are HIGH FAT- Moderate Protein - Low Carbs.

So NOT High Protein.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
For normal balanced diet yes agreed but for low carb/
keto you need additional sodium.

Possibly so.

Then thats where you are wrong. Most Ketogenic diets are HIGH FAT- Moderate Protein - Low Carbs.

So NOT High Protein.

In theory I'd agree with you. However in practice it seems most people on low carb lean more heavily on meats than veg (hence the higher fats you mention) and additionally lean mostly towards processed meats (which are inherently high in sodium) Of course with very careful meal planning and a strict adherence to it, you could avoid the high sodium (and even the high fat) pitfall. I'm just not sure if you'd find many of said lower sodium choices available that are suitable for packing into the bush? I know they do exist; just not all that readily available IME (or all that tasty either)

I struggle with it all the time being diabetic and hypertensive (not an unusual combination) What helps one condition often hurts the other.

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Funny. I'm 3st down this year. Finally got some help on diet from Slimming World of all places. Diet has shown me it's what I eat rather than how much I eat and that weight loss is 75% food, 25% exercise.

It's not really a diet so much as a lifestyle change.

Anyway point is I'm eating less carbs but I've noticed I'm hitting the salt harder than I did and have a penchant for a Bovril in the evening. Funny that both have been mentioned above. Clearly my body is telling me that this is what it needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 14, 2016
North West
Same here, hence the query. I've lost about 4 st in the last 11 months through far more exercise and a low carb diet. Hence the question. Hopefully going on a bushcraft/hiking two nighters with a mate in the summer, so carrying food is a consideration.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE