Low carb camping scoff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Funny. I'm 3st down this year. Finally got some help on diet from Slimming World of all places. Diet has shown me it's what I eat rather than how much I eat and that weight loss is 75% food, 25% exercise.

It's not really a diet so much as a lifestyle change.

Anyway point is I'm eating less carbs but I've noticed I'm hitting the salt harder than I did and have a penchant for a Bovril in the evening. Funny that both have been mentioned above. Clearly my body is telling me that this is what it needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, there's lots more than just the diet involved (and I've lost weight as well) That said, the trade off has been higher cholesterol and blood pressure which I've since brought back down with meds.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Congrats on the weight loss.

For me it's "cheap" carbs and fat. Gone is my morning toast and butter, followed by the compulsory service station sandwich lunchtime.

Tinned tuna. Good staple and not an oversized can.
Eggs Hardboiled. Easy to carry.
Nuts
Dried fruit
Chicken and Fajita mix
Most dense meats and dried spice is pretty good and the protein is the key to feeling full.
Jerky/Biltong Food dehydrator is not expensive kit and £10 of stewing steak makes loads.
You can use the Jerky in stews and such as well.
I would count lentils and pulses as more of a protein than carb on my diet. Most come conveniently dry.

Hope this helps. You have me thinking now.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Congrats on the weight loss.

For me it's "cheap" carbs and fat. Gone is my morning toast and butter, followed by the compulsory service station sandwich lunchtime.

Tinned tuna. Good staple and not an oversized can.
Eggs Hardboiled. Easy to carry.
Nuts
Dried fruit
Chicken and Fajita mix
Most dense meats and dried spice is pretty good and the protein is the key to feeling full.
Jerky/Biltong Food dehydrator is not expensive kit and £10 of stewing steak makes loads.
You can use the Jerky in stews and such as well.
I would count lentils and pulses as more of a protein than carb on my diet. Most come conveniently dry.

Hope this helps. You have me thinking now.

Those are good choices indeed.

Apr 14, 2016
North West
Once again, thanks to you all for those useful ideas. Just for further info I saw a YouTube video on dehydrating food in the oven. I might give that a try, not so much to reduce the weight as the bulk."

I just bought a £22 Dehydrator from ebay (5 tiers) works like a charm and after a few youtube vids on using for backpacking foods have tried a few things..its great as I also own a vacuum bag machine and use the cheaper rolls of bags to store my foods... now any extras i cook tend to get dehydrated and bag the frozen :)

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
There seem to be some misconceptions, when it comes to low-carb food.
Any form of bread is a no go. This includes crackers, crisp bread, whatever contains grains or sugars. That includes fruits as well! Maybe one a day, but preferably no more. Sausage or processed meats/meals usually contain high amounts of grain (as a filler) or sugars (flavour enhancers). If you want to bring them, make sure they contain a lot of meat and/or fat. Stay away from anything that has less than 85% meat.
Since low carb often is comprised of whole foods (no processing at all) you might need some additional salt or minerals, especially when active. A small bag of rough sea salt in your pack is a good idea.
Eggs keep well for longer periods of time, even in hot weather. As long as the yolk doesn't touch the shell they should keep. When in doubt, put them in water. when they sink ok, when they float... check.
Dried sounds ok, but how about nutritional values?? And fat is your main source of energy. Lard should be good, since butter and pig's fat might go rancid in warmer conditions. Hard vegetables keep rather well too. For an occasional energy or moral boost; dark chocolate up from 70%. The higher the better.

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Any form of bread is a no go. This includes crackers, crisp bread, whatever contains grains or sugars. That includes fruits as well! Maybe one a day, but preferably no more. Sausage or processed meats/meals usually contain high amounts of grain (as a filler) or sugars (flavour enhancers). If you want to bring them, make sure they contain a lot of meat and/or fat. Stay away from anything that has less than 85% meat.
Since low carb often is comprised of whole foods (no processing at all) you might need some additional salt or minerals, especially when active. A small bag of rough sea salt in your pack is a good idea.
Eggs keep well for longer periods of time, even in hot weather. As long as the yolk doesn't touch the shell they should keep. When in doubt, put them in water. when they sink ok, when they float... check.
Dried sounds ok, but how about nutritional values?? And fat is your main source of energy. Lard should be good, since butter and pig's fat might go rancid in warmer conditions. Hard vegetables keep rather well too. For an occasional energy or moral boost; dark chocolate up from 70%. The higher the better.

Correct.
As a person with 6 years of medical uni training I would like to add that the carbo hydrate obsession of today is all based on wrong ideas and info.
The cells are fuelled ( Krebs Cycle) by Guanocine Tri Phosphate which is basically split up fats, carbohydrates and proteins.
A mixture of those should be ingested.
A wrong balance is unhealthy. One extreme of the low carb diet is Atkins Diet. You not only lose weight, but can cause irreversible damage to your kidneys.
Having said that, we should all eat less sugar, be it in form of Caster Sugar, or sugar in fruit and veg. There is absolutely no difference between processed sucrose and naturally occurring sucrose.

Juicing? Full of sugar.

Gentlemen, everything in moderation!

Edit: Simplified and short: Complex carbohydrates ( like in pasta, bread) are split into simpler carbohydrates (=sugars) starting in the mouth, then stomach and then the thin intestine.
Those simpler CH are absorbed and further "worked on" until fit to be used in the cells.
Low carb diet is based on some very funky "science" .

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Question. What about Lard for making Pemmican. I've read that most Lard sold in supermarkets has been bleached and some contain transfats. Although that is not always present on the ingredients.

Would it affect the shelflife of the pemmican? Or do you have to actually go out to a butchers, buy pig fat, and render it yourself?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Not sure about chemical bleaching, but if it is solid in room temperature then it has been chemically altered, hydrogenated.

Any additionsl process will not alter the shelf life of your pemmican. The surface can go rancid after a while, but the fat acts as a barrier for oxygen and prevents spoiling.

Hence the used of fat to preserve food ( the ancient technique of 'potting' meats, shrimp, duck and so on)

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not sure about chemical bleaching, but if it is solid in room temperature then it has been chemically altered, hydrogenated......

Depends on what you's calling "lard." True lard (rendered hog fat) will solidify (at least to a very viscous paste) at room temp all on it's own although that temp is very close to it's melting point. However the modern substitute (vegetable "shortening") is often referred to as lard although it really isn't, and yes, that has to be hydrogenated to solidify at room temp.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Any form of bread is a no go. This includes crackers, crisp bread, whatever contains grains or sugars. That includes fruits as well! Maybe one a day, but preferably no more. Sausage or processed meats/meals usually contain high amounts of grain (as a filler) or sugars (flavour enhancers). If you want to bring them, make sure they contain a lot of meat and/or fat. Stay away from anything that has less than 85% meat......

Agreed that all breads are a no go as you stated. Apparently your sausages must be different from ours though. Our smoked sausages contain varying quantities of pork, beef, chicken, fat, and spices. Likewise with the "sausages" we normally don't think of as sausage: baloney, hot dogs, salami, etc.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Correct.
As a person with 6 years of medical uni training I would like to add that the carbo hydrate obsession of today is all based on wrong ideas and info.
The cells are fuelled ( Krebs Cycle) by Guanocine Tri Phosphate which is basically split up fats, carbohydrates and proteins.
A mixture of those should be ingested.
A wrong balance is unhealthy. One extreme of the low carb diet is Atkins Diet. You not only lose weight, but can cause irreversible damage to your kidneys.
Having said that, we should all eat less sugar, be it in form of Caster Sugar, or sugar in fruit and veg. There is absolutely no difference between processed sucrose and naturally occurring sucrose.

Juicing? Full of sugar.

Gentlemen, everything in moderation!

Edit: Simplified and short: Complex carbohydrates ( like in pasta, bread) are split into simpler carbohydrates (=sugars) starting in the mouth, then stomach and then the thin intestine.
Those simpler CH are absorbed and further "worked on" until fit to be used in the cells.
Low carb diet is based on some very funky "science" .

That's similar to what my diabetic diet counselors have all taught as well. With the exception that the simple carbs (breads, pasta, etc.) should be avoided and replaced with complex carbs (whole grains, beans, etc,)

Last edited:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Agreed that all breads are a no go as you stated. Apparently your sausages must be different from ours though. Our smoked sausages contain varying quantities of pork, beef, chicken, fat, and spices. Likewise with the "sausages" we normally don't think of as sausage: baloney, hot dogs, salami, etc.

You can find sausages here that contain as little as 35% meat. And plenty of their sort too. No need asking what the rest might be.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
When I slow roast my pork I skim off the fat ( drippings) and use instead of butter on bread.
Also the left over juices and fat in the pan I use this way. In room temperature ( 78 F) it melts.
Sometimes I render fat by slow boiling pork fat with the skin, and add finely chopped pork crackling, salt and caraway seeds. Again, it melts in room temperature.
I never buy the commercial stuff.

Pork fat is maybe not so healthy but so delicious!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Sausages in UK are made from a raw meat/ rusks and spices mixture. The sausages in the rest of the Wirld are already cooked, type Frankfurters.
This difference makes a discussion difficult.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
You can find sausages here that contain as little as 35% meat. And plenty of their sort too. No need asking what the rest might be.

I worked in a meat processing plant (Scan) for a few weeks ( work experience - PRYO) in Jönköping in early 1970's.
The so called meat they put in the sausages were not muscle eat, but soft tissue meat.
Soft entrails, dicks, balls, you name it. Plus snouts and lips, oh yeah!
The worst were Falu korv and Medister korv. They added blood plasma and eyes as "meat" to those.
When I visit Sweden, I still do not touch those!
I did not youch those products for years.

stonyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 8, 2004
Gloucester
I don't eat any meat now because I don't trust our so called carefully controlled meat processing system.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE