Lost with a knife and a pouch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 28, 2009
UK
Say you were hiking with a group people. Somehow you became lost with no one to realise you were missing for three weeks. The only thing you had with you was a knife and possibles pouch on your belt. What kind of knife would you have and what would be in your possibles pouch to save your life? You can post pictures of your kit if you like.

If I were in that situation I would bring:

-Woodlore knife or similar

-leather possibles pouch
-firesteel
-lighter
-paracord
-whistle
-compass
-small map of the area
-petzl e-lite
-plasters
-needles
-boiled sweets or yorkie bar
All of the contents would be in the bottom halve of a military mess tin which would then go into the pouch.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
a fishing kit can make a huge difference in a survival situation, also snare wire would be good.
just plasteres is a bit basic imo, anything that only needs a plaster isn't a big deel.
a folding saw makes life so much easier when building shelters etc.
after a cupple of weeks worth of abuse the edge on your knife will be recked, i would add a pocket sized stone to touch it up.
personly i would go for a billy can or similar rather than mess tins, i use the pot from the swedish army trangia which is a little heavier but far more practicle when cooking over fires.

what are the needles for:confused:

pete

H

He' s left the building

-Woodlore knife or similar
-leather possibles pouch
-firesteel
-lighter
-paracord
-whistle
-compass
-small map of the area
-petzl e-lite
-plasters
-needles
-boiled sweets or yorkie bar
All of the contents would be in the bottom halve of a military mess tin which would then go into the pouch.

Your kit needs to be firstly tailored to the environment, latitude and season; and then secondly to the skills and fitness of yourself.

Assuming you have a compass, map, whistle and torch you would hopefully navigate to safety or be found within days?

There is a book called 'Build the perfect survival kit' written by an ex US Marine named John D. McCann which describes several kits of varying sizes. John explains in great detail why each item is selected, linking each choice to survival priorities. Well worth a read!

Here's the crunch question: have you been out in the woods for 48 hours carrying only your pre-packed survival kit, and if so how did you fare?!!

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Knife: any one that I had with me would do probably a mora

Firesteel
Tinder
Brew kit
and one of these SPOT

Unless I wanted to stay lost for three weeks that is :D

I have no illusions that I'm Bear Grylls let alone Ray Mears :D

May 28, 2009
UK
a fishing kit can make a huge difference in a survival situation, also snare wire would be good.
just plasteres is a bit basic imo, anything that only needs a plaster isn't a big deel.
a folding saw makes life so much easier when building shelters etc.
after a cupple of weeks worth of abuse the edge on your knife will be recked, i would add a pocket sized stone to touch it up.
personly i would go for a billy can or similar rather than mess tins, i use the pot from the swedish army trangia which is a little heavier but far more practicle when cooking over fires.

what are the needles for:confused:

pete

when I made this I must of not been thinking very well. 3 weeks is a little long for the list I made although you can survive three weeks with out food. A folding saw wouldnt fit into a possibles pouch. And I thought about adding a stone but I just wanted to keep it simple. The needles are used with the inner bits of the paracord to make emegency repairs.

Your kit needs to be firstly tailored to the environment, latitude and season; and then secondly to the skills and fitness of yourself.

Assuming you have a compass, map, whistle and torch you would hopefully navigate to safety or be found within days?

There is a book called 'Build the perfect survival kit' written by an ex US Marine named John D. McCann which describes several kits of varying sizes. John explains in great detail why each item is selected, linking each choice to survival priorities. Well worth a read!

Here's the crunch question: have you been out in the woods for 48 hours carrying only your pre-packed survival kit, and if so how did you fare?!!
Again, I just tried to make it basic. And yes I have been and I think I was pretty satisfied with the surviving I did ;)

If you survived the three weeks, it may be an idea to call these people: http://www.samaritans.org/default.aspx

What sort of group do you go hiking with who wouldn't notice you missing for three weeks?!!
Women of course! :joke: No, It was just a hypothetical statement used to see what people put in there possibles pouch.

I hope this answers most of the questions you had.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A folding saw wouldnt fit into a possibles pouch. .

They will you know ;)

saw.jpg

SawPocketChain.jpg

5254_NewRanger_57.jpg

Red

May 28, 2009
UK
I stand corrected :rolleyes: When he said should have a folding saw I automaticlly thought about something like a Bacho Laplander, bucksaw or this

saw.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I often think the little saws are underrated. I often use the Wenger 57 saw (shown above). Easily big enough to build a shelter with 2" poles. Personally I'm not a huge fan of the "pocket chainsaw" types - but a good SAK is a key part of a possibles pouch for me.

I prefer kite string to paracord in my pouch - or even a hank of "hairy" (jute) string - which is good tinder too. I know you can "strip down" the paracord but in a pouch - I like thin stuff.

Some good tinder would be there for me. A couple of one litre ziploks and some puritabs are always there too (for water carrying)

Red

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
If you have a possibles pouch then you are probably wearing a belt, in which case you could carry a bow saw blade, either inside the belt as described by Mors Kochanski or in specialized belt sheath like this one.

The relevance of these suggestions is still dependent on where in the world you are when you manage to get yourself lost for three weeks, for an extensive list of survival kit contents to suit a variety of habitats see the Equipped to Survive website.

:)

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
although you can survive three weeks with out food.

yes you can but only if you have been sitting down not exerting yourself in any way. also at the end of those three weeks you will be on the edge of existence, you will be hallucinating, blacking out randomly and you would have lost the ability to make wise decisions long ago.

there are many factors that can effect this too, in freezing temperatures, wind and rain your time will be dramatically reduced because your body will be using a huge amount of calories to keep itself warm.

also imagine how good you would feel after a week of eating nothing but a couple of berries and leaves to catch a fish. its also the boost of moral that will keep you going.
watch a couple of survivorman shows and you will know what i meen:)

pete

May 28, 2009
UK
I also should have explained this better the list I made was just to give examples for people leaving replies. Its not truley what I have in my possibles pouch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE