Lost my pipe tool

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
2,812
0
50
Northampton
Some time ago. For months now I've been using random sticks to tamp with in the woods or a shell casing or my index finger. Black burned fingers are no fun!

Fortunately the pipe tool was a cheap one like this



I never once used the spoon as a reamer as I use a knife for that. All I used was the poker and tamper. As I sometimes used a shell casing I got to thinking I'd use one of them and spin something up at work on my lunch break.



The head is a bit long intentionally, that's so I can unthread it for the poker



It literally took minutes to make, I cut a piece to fit internally and tapped some threads in it, then turned the head and took a die to it for some external threads. Job's a good un and I now have a tamper with a bit more character. I tried to get a couple decent pics but a mobile and no lighting did me no favours!





Thanks for looking. I'll stick to making things as my photography skills are non existent!
 
Nice, neat job and nicely thought out. As to the photography skills it's the camera holding you back the little vignette at the end is really good. Puts me in mind of the film Last Man Standing.

ATB,
GB.
 
Nice, neat job and nicely thought out. As to the photography skills it's the camera holding you back the little vignette at the end is really good. Puts me in mind of the film Last Man Standing.


ATB,
GB.

Not seen Last Man Standing I don't think. I'll have to check that out now!


Very clever chad. Looks really gucci mate. Wish i had your metal working skills

Cheers Paul. Skills have nothing to do with this, it's all down to having an engineering shop to play in! That thought always brings a smile to my face.
 
I love that...........completely different universe from the generic pipe tool.............lovely job!........................atb mac
 
Really nice idea that. I really like the pistol holster in the background too, plus the sheath for that knife is stunning! :)
 
.357 Magnum,could well have come from you Red. The pipe tool is a 25-06, that too could have come from you. Many thanks either way!

Looked longer than that - must be the angle :) If I'd known you wanted a bullet in it I'd have loaded one for you. Probably looked like a 45 because I never see a round nose 357 - we all shoot them from carbines (Marlins and Winchesters) as well as handguns so we all shoot semi wad cutter bullets (with a flat tip) - anything round or pointy invites a "slam fire" in the tube mag of an underlever - which is an event that removes any requirement for laxatives :)
 
Lolz, slam fire bad! I just spun up a quick one for my kid as he's obsessed with cowboys, that's why you've never seen one like that Red
 
Can't say I blame him - I'm fighting the urge to buy a "New Model Army" in cap and ball .44 at the moment :o

How old is the lad?
 
He's 8 but he's been smitten by the whole idea from a real young age. He loves going to Canada to visit my friends and family in a big way. Problem is he keeps outgrowing his cowboy boots far too quick!
 
He's a bit small yet, but give me a shout in a few years and we'll get him going with a Winchester and a wheel gun :)
 
Ha ha, will do. He's more at the Daisey Ryder stage right now although he has put some lead through some fun guns in Canada. Thanks for the offer. Can't blame you for being tempted by a cap and ball, I'd be all over one if I could! I'd love to make some nice holsters for some classic pistols one day, not to mention a Winchester slip in tooled leather.
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE