Losing heat through your head - a myth ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I must admit I feel a lot warmer with a hat on and it`s nice to be able to pull something down over the old lugs to keep the cold wind out.

Which is precisely the point. The science may say that only 10% (still a large amount) is lost through the head but we also get a psychological benefit from wearing something warm on our heads. It's good enough for me.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
It might be technically right that you don't usually lose 50% of your body heat from your head but its also technically right that most people don't walk about stark bollock naked either.

Because everyone wears clothes that makes the rest of their body more insulated and means the main other part of the body that people don't always cover is the head and the hands, you can't put your head in your pockets can you.

Which still leaves the idea that in order to keep warm you are better off wearing a hat which isn't rocket science and if you are working outside usually the mest method of controlling your heat is to wear a hat, if you are getting too hot its usually the first item of clothing you remove as it allows a lot of heat to dissipate.

The Daily Mail isn't exactly my main source of scientific journalism* admittedly and I would question their interpretation of the facts slightly;)

*When I have read The Daily Mail on the odd occasion I wasn't sure if I should be knee jerking or goose stepping:dunno:

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I’m sure that this has been pointed out, if your hands/leg/feet are cold, the blood vessels close to prevent further heat loss, vascular constriction, this is the way the body works to prevent heat loss. It slows down the rate at which you chill, the blood vessels in your head, don’t closes down, so heat loss keeps on happening until there is no heat left. (Death)
If it is cold enough to need gloves, it’s more important to wear a hat.
Take for example that you are dressed for the weather but:-
Wearing gloves and no hat, means you are actually increasing the amount of surface area that your body is trying to heat. (Both your hands and your head) so you will get colder slightly quicker
Wearing a hat and no gloves decreases the amount of surface area the body is trying to heat, as the hat helps retain body heat, and the blood vessels in your hands will constrict naturally to prevent heat loss.
Wearing a hat and gloves is the best option, providing you do not over heat and start sweating.
JMHO

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
It might be technically right that you don't usually lose 50% of your body heat from your head but its also technically right that most people don't walk about stark bollock naked either.

Thanks God for that...:eek:

If you wear nothing, your body heat will drain from everywhere.
Clothes are like the water jacket on a Kelly Kettle: all the heat goes off the top.....:p :sulkoff:

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Thanks God for that...:eek:

If you wear nothing, your body heat will drain from everywhere.
Clothes are like the water jacket on a Kelly Kettle: all the heat goes off the top.....:p :sulkoff:

Explains the stove-pipe hat that does :D

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I remember years ago in the scouts we went on a weekend trip some where. One of the leaders on that ocassion was an ambulance man, and he gave us some tips about this, what he called the rule of 9's, 9% heat loss from your head, 9% from either hand and foot, 9% each leg and arm, 18% from your torso??-cant remeber the exact proportions, but I do remember 9% from your head.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE