Loop alien tarp and hammock suspension (videos)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Ello, ello

Got a couple of vids here on how i use my favorite little piece of hardware on hammocks and tarps
I seriously love these little fellas. Easily THE most versatile suspension hardware i'v ever used

Genuine ones are from loopalien.com and clones are all over ebay and aliexpress

Heres a comparison pic of the different types and the clones

Genuine UFA top left, genuine standard alu top right
Clone staunless bottom left, clone alu bottom right
And a dutch wasp in the middle

Hammock suspension

[video=youtube;gOfyByptLXw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOfyByptLXw[/video]

Tarp suspension, ten points if you can spot my "seamless" edit :lmao:

[video=youtube;5ticIh_jklk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ticIh_jklk[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Are they meant to be different videos? as they are the same link, showing the hammock suspension vid...

I haven't used alien loops, and my current thinking is to use less hardware, but I do like them - they seem like there handy.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Got some weights here too

Chinese stainless..14g
Chinese alu..............3g
Genuine alu..............2g
Small UFA................3g
Wasp.................sub 1g

i know hardware can be almost a dirty word on here and i totally agree that folks should know how to tie knots. but unless you are a serious ultralighter the weight is not an issue. even with all the hardware on that hammock i can still do a 6kg base weight that will see me down to -5*c or more without even trying
I could drop another kilo off that with a shorter UQ and lighter pack

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
I got some of these ( the cheapy Chinese ones) and used them on my last hammock outing, would recommend them, cost me about £1.50 delivered, so easy to use.

Been all over internet and can't find any. Where did you get them from and what we're they called. I've tried everything and got some very funny results!

Cheers
Andy

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
Outdoor knotting tools eh. Would never even have contemplated that's what they were called.

Many thanks for the help. Some now on order to play with.

Cheers
Andy

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
When do you buy gear that is either filling a gap that is required or it's another but possibly a little progressive variant of what's already owned? I do like shiny things and have fit for use alternatives but there's always something 'magpie'-ish with getting nicer more gucci gear that does what you already do but a little bit better ;-)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE