Looking for good family campsites in North Wales

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I can personally recommend the FC campsite at Beddgelert. You're not far off the Rhyd Ddu path to Snowdon, or the Welsh Highland Railway. The site has good facilities, and a small stream running along the western fringe which adjoins the main river( a few Trout can be had, as well as Sea Trout and Salmon during the floods as well).
I have many happy memories of the site; we've been this year and it's as good as ever

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Shell Island is a massive site with lots and lots of room you won't trip over your neighbours and the coast is wonderful. Down the road is Nant Col, fires allowed, small but another lovely spot.

"Voted top 5 Best Campsite in Britain by Cotswold Outdoors Ltd in 2010"
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=5875

Nantcol looks fantastic Rik, thanks for sharing that. Realised Shell island doesn't have hook up (we take a fridge). We don't slum it on a long family holiday so much...

Mr_Riff

Aug 13, 2012
Manchester
Llyn Gwynant at the foot of Snowdon is amazing if basic. They allow fires on provided hearths, access to the lake & obviously some stunning walks!
http://www.gwynant.com/

Llyn Gwynant is my fav campsite in Snowdonia

There's another good site down the road from Llyn Gwynant, on your left just before you reach Beddgelert, think it's called Cae Dru, it has a rams head as it's symbol

Last edited:

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Bodnant Caravan Park in Llanwrst is really good and does tent hookup on some pitches. I'm not sure how great it is for kids though, depends what you want from a site I suppose. Facilities etc are great and it's clean and friendly. Take ear plugs, the guinea fowl dawn chorus takes some getting used to. We're going up there in a few weeks as lomg as the weather doesn't get any worse...

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Bumping this thread again..Can you tell me where Shell Island is.
I'm off to Llyn Gwynant at the end of the month but am interested in this Shell Island for a future visit :)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Just hoping the weather clears up by then..lol
I've found Shell Island...I think its a little too hectic for my liking...could be wrong.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
shell island is good outside of school holidays. There is enough room to move if a tribe of trogs turn up and are loud, but generally it is very peaceful. School holidays you know you are on the largest campsite in europe.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Just hoping the weather clears up by then..lol
I've found Shell Island...I think its a little too hectic for my liking...could be wrong.

if you mean shell island by Harlech you are not wrong, it can be VERY hectic, access is via a causeway so tide times need to be considered, regarding Llyn Gwynant there is another smaller campsite about 2 kilometers down the road from there called Hafod Y Llan, its right by the start of the 'Watkin Path', from Llyn Gwynant carry on down the road for about 2 K towards Beddgelert and you will come to a lay-by with a toilet block on your left, immediately at end of lay-by there is an old stone river bridge turn right excactly there for access to campsite. http://www.hafodyllancampsite.co.uk/

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Just back from 3 days at Nantcol. Fantastic site with lovely woodlands and steams for the littleun to play in.
Saw Red kites, cuckoos, various Thrush and a bunch load of insects I have yet to look up. Woodlands on the site are lovely with bluebells, cuckoo flowers, wood aneomy, pignuts, ramsons, orchids and many more I also need to ID.
Oh and open fires allowed :)
Another great point, No music allowed onsite.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE