looking for a USB lead that can power this..........

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Very bad advice guys, verging on irresponsible.

If this device does not have a a voltage regulator and a lithium battery, then overcharging will at best result in acidic smoke filling the car (that will eventually eat through most the interior) at worst the cell in the device will flare up like a Catherine wheel.

Older NiMh and NiCd based cells are a LOT more tougher to overcharging, over charge a LiPo cell though and you'll know about it.

+1 to all this.

Even ignoring the potential dangers of charging some of the batteries currently on the market, wiring things to lighter sockets isn't to be done without thought.

The socket can probably put out at least 30A without breaking into a sweat. Well over 300 Watts even with a low battery. When the engine is running, well over 400 Watts. More than enough to set something alight if things go pear-shaped. If your cable, connectors and possibly whatever you connect to them can't take that much current, then you need a device in the lighter plug to protect them from over current. The alternative is to risk a fire when something fails.

Jan 15, 2012
essex
The fact that it can take a variable voltage input (9-15V), plus the fact that the SUPPLIED power supply is exactly that - a power supply, not a regulated charger, makes me believe that the regulation circuitry is built into the battery pack.

Thats right, that battery pack comes with a power pack, all the regulation ect is built in the battery pack.
Just like a mobile phone and all other things with plug in power supplies.

Donny732

Nov 25, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Um, I didn't say it was "in the spec". :)

Quoting from

http://www.usb.org/developers/usbfaq#pow2

"... In the case of 7.2.3, with a worst-case configuration, a hub essentially sees a 500mA current step on each of its ports when the bus resumes. Thus, a hub designer typically has to design for a load step from near zero to 2-3.5A. ..."

That's a negotiated current on a 2.0/3.0 data port, though. The specification for Dedicated Charging Ports specifically limits current to 1.5A, so to say that USB socket that's up to spec will be able to put out 2A is just wrong.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
That's a negotiated current on a 2.0/3.0 data port, though. The specification for Dedicated Charging Ports specifically limits current to 1.5A, so to say that USB socket that's up to spec will be able to put out 2A is just wrong.

OK, you win, I'll settle for 1.5A. :)

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
The fact that it can take a variable voltage input (9-15V), plus the fact that the SUPPLIED power supply is exactly that - a power supply, not a regulated charger, makes me believe that the regulation circuitry is built into the battery pack.

The fact that it's able to accept a variable input voltage means the input is regulated, this has absolutely nothing what-so-ever to do with it being able to cut-off the charge current at the the right voltage or it having over charge protection.

You also have absolutely no idea if the main socket is a power supply or a charger just from looking at a quick picture.

Thats right, that battery pack comes with a power pack, all the regulation ect is built in the battery pack.
Just like a mobile phone and all other things with plug in power supplies.

Again absolute guess work.

If this is indeed a liPo based battery and you are wrong, you are without a shadow of a doubt putting the op and everyone in the car and driving near him in at an extremely high risk.

If his cells are Lithium based and they do go into a overcharged state, if the op is driving the car will be filled with noxious, toxic and acidic smoke thick enough to make breathing extremely difficult and certainly thick enough to make driving impossible.

That's the best case scenario as well.
If the pack ignites it will flare up with the power of a catherine wheel burning anything within 1/2 meter.

If, maybes and possibilities are simply not enough here.
Unless you are 100% sure you have a responsibility to the op and anyone else that reads this to be 100% right.

Judging an electrical device by a picture of it's external packaging is absolutely ridiculous, pointless and totally unacceptable.

It may seem to some that i'm being a bit over dramatic here, thing is i have been using lithium based cells for around 10 years now, i personally witnessed them burn, RC planes, helicopters and cars to a chard wreck, i've even witnessed a members Toyota burn to a crisp from bad charging practices.

Imagine this happening in the car as the op is driving with his entire family in the car

[video=youtube;YCWdnjLqVWw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCWdnjLqVWw[/video]

That LiPo flared up from overcharging exactly the same thing i'm banging on about.

As i say unless you are absolutely 100% sure that this product is NOT running lithium cells and unless your 100% certain the charging circuit is built into the device you are bang out of order and without any over dramatics you are putting peoples lives at risk.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
The fact that it's able to accept a variable input voltage means the input is regulated, this has absolutely nothing what-so-ever to do with it being able to cut-off the charge current at the the right voltage or it having over charge protection.
since the power to charge the battery has to pass THROUGH the power input, it is therefore protected by the input circuitry, no?

You also have absolutely no idea if the main socket is a power supply or a charger just from looking at a quick picture.
Apart from the fact that it says "AC Adapter" on it? ... it does not say "Charger" or "regulator" on it.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
since the power to charge the battery has to pass THROUGH the power input, it is therefore protected by the input circuitry, no?

Apart from the fact that it says "AC Adapter" on it? ... it does not say "Charger" or "regulator" on it.

As i say unless you are absolutely 100% certain, question marks just don't cut it, the consequences of you being wrong far outweigh anything else.

Jan 15, 2012
essex
Apart from the fact that it says "AC Adapter" on it? ... it does not say "Charger" or "regulator" on it. lol Yeah power pack 100% certain.
Lithiums yes you got to be careful with them and anyone thinking of using them should read up on them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE