Looking for a tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Im after a new tarp, 2 actually.
I have both the aussie tarps (camo and the heavier green versions) and i used to have a British Army basha (my Dad now uses that as an awning on the Defender).
What other choices are out there and how do they compare to the ones above in terms of build quality, strength and size ?
I really liked the army basha but i want to see what else is out there before i'd buy another couple.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
i just bought a Truenorth big tarp Lawrence ,its expensive but it is really good .i also have the aussie tarps,and coming to think about it just aboot every bloomin tarp there is i think ,but this one is good mate.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I've got the desert tarp if that's the army one you're talking about and it really is heavy duty, doubles as a stretcher, so has to be. None of the big tarps (4.5mx3m) I've looked at come very close to the strength ie be struggling to carry someone in one! From an SotP thread, some options for you;

[URL="http://www.bushcraftuk.com/index.php/847-dd-hammocks-3mx4.5m-tarp-review.html"]DD big tarp [/URL]from here
Andywink big tarp from here
There's also the much vaunted True north big tarp from here not reviewed it yet (tsk tsk) but Tim has here
There's also the SotP tarp depending on size requirements

My short summary is;

DD - light, good and cheap
Andywink - Heavy and good
True North - Light and best quality and probably strongest...

There are also tarps available from Tatonka (different weights and prices and good) and Decathlon (light and cheap) which get good write ups. If I could have only one big tarp (heaven forbid!!) I'd probably go for the DD or True North for the weight and if cost was an issue then the DD would get it. I'm kinda with Gill, true north sounds like it'd fit the bill, not quite as strong but not designed to be.

Cheers,

Alan

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
DD group buy starting in a couple of days ...just getting it all together
but the 3x3 tarp is going to cost £24. and the xl tarp £34

and i can still get truenorth's cheaper aswell :);)

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
i would say it would stand up to most Lawrence ,having said that it is not just as heavy as the OG aussie hootchie . this tarp has some nifty little net pockets for putting paddles or whatever for putting up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE