looking for a knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
Im looking for a knife what should i look for i basicly want it for everything i do which includes gutting ,carving,food prep etc could anyone give us some advice :wink: :f:

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
That is £42. I've no idea about gutting or skinning, but some excellent value knifes that I find work well for carving and food prep are the Frosts Mora range. These cost around £10 which means that you can buy yourself some other blades and stick to your price range :-D.

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
thanks i also read the reveiw for the knives in bushcraft uk and im gonna proberly buy the frost clipper knife its gonna cost me €33:50 but i cant wait im getting it of swedishknives.com in case anyone wants to get a knife should look at it the have a good site :wink:

T

theknight

Go for a Kellam, you have a good range to choose from.

TK

BAHDog

Jan 7, 2004
Tucson, Arizona
I think any of the puukko style knives will serve you well for all around use.

My absolute favorite multi use blade is the Mora 2000.

M2K.jpg

Not much you can't do with any of the Mora knives. They are inexpensive and high performance. Very easy to sharpen and take care of. They perform as well or better than my more expensive blades.

Trond

Jan 7, 2004
Norway
www.kniv.net
Hello,
I am maybe not the right person to say this, since i am a maker :roll:
But IMO a mora knife is a bit like a screw driver, they perform good, and they are cheap, but no personality. I have owned quite a few, and the beuty of them si that they are sharp and when they are not sharp anymore they are so cheap that in stead of re sharpen them i jus buy a new one.
A more expensive knife might not be any better, but you get design, and you get a personal relationship with them, look after them and sharpen them carefully, you can sit an look at them jus to feel the weight and admire the design.
If i was not a maker, and i wanted a using knife Id rather go for a knife that is more expensive, does not have to be hand made (even if this is the best :lol: ) but i would look at the design, think through what i was going to use the knife for, and pick a knife with a blade that suited that purpose.
Maybe a Woodlore, or a Helle knife. (I do not know that much about all the knives out there, there has to be thousands of good using knives in the price range £50-200)

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
BAHDog said:
I think any of the puukko style knives will serve you well for all around use.

My absolute favorite multi use blade is the Mora 2000.

M2K.jpg

Not much you can't do with any of the Mora knives. They are inexpensive and high performance. Very easy to sharpen and take care of. They perform as well or better than my more expensive blades.

Mora 2000 is a great knife for so little money, but it is a little boring.

BAHDog

Jan 7, 2004
Tucson, Arizona
Okay if you don't mind spending a bit more, here is a blade that will not be boring. I had Jukka Hankala make this one for me. It costs more like 135 euros but comes with a great leather sheath, has a hand forged blade and a beautiful curly birch handle. Not inexpensive but not boring. This thing will cut. (2 photos)

TuhkuriFabric1.jpg

LastRays2.jpg

Here is a link to Jukka's site and his hand made puukko collection. These have that something extra. With this finely crafted blade and a small axe, you have all the cutlery you need for bushcraft. Of course a lot of us carry a good folding knife as well just becuase we like them.

http://users.reppu.net/j.hankala/englanti/mets_veitset/tuhkuri_engl.htm

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
BAHDog said:
Okay if you don't mind spending a bit more, here is a blade that will not be boring. I had Jukka Hankala make this one for me. It costs more like 135 euros but comes with a great leather sheath, has a hand forged blade and a beautiful curly birch handle. Not inexpensive but not boring. This thing will cut. (2 photos)

TuhkuriFabric1.jpg

LastRays2.jpg

Here is a link to Jukka's site and his hand made puukko collection. These have that something extra. With this finely crafted blade and a small axe, you have all the cutlery you need for bushcraft. Of course a lot of us carry a good folding knife as well just becuase we like them.

http://users.reppu.net/j.hankala/englanti/mets_veitset/tuhkuri_engl.htm

Now that is a knife with personality and something me as a maker can relate to. now 135 euros is about 90 quid right? There are plenty of other makers who can make a knife a lot simpler than that, that will do the same things. I am not pouting for business but please remember that Hobby makers are generally cheaper, than the pros and the knives are not always poor quality, often quite the opposite.

Trond

Jan 7, 2004
Norway
www.kniv.net
Now that is a knife with personality and something me as a maker can relate to. now 135 euros is about 90 quid right? There are plenty of other makers who can make a knife a lot simpler than that, that will do the same things. I am not pouting for business but please remember that Hobby makers are generally cheaper, than the pros and the knives are not always poor quality, often quite the opposite.

But that is a nice knife though. and IMO not that expencive for such a nice knife :-D

But i did not intend to say that it had to be a handmade knife, just a litle more of a knife than MOra

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
Actually it is damn cheap if you ask me.

I agree that it could be a production made helle, brusletto or something. Plastic and rubber handles stink of being cheap and you don't look after them.

If ihad to buy a knife, then I'd go for one of the helle/brusletto range myself.

if i didn't want a handmade one of course.

i agree, mora knives are cheap and chearful, not my cup of tea anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE