longevity of First Field Dressings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Most of these items should have an expiry date, after which they are not guaranteed sterile. If there's no such date (it will be identified with an hour glass symbol or EXP: ) then the contents are usually considered sterile unless packaging damaged or open.

KP

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Most of the ones I've seen have a statement on the packaging sayin, "Sterility guarenteed as long as the seal is unbroken" or something to that effect.

That said, I suspect if you're referring to adhesive bandages, then the adhesive itself may be subject to deterioration. I really don't know though. I've got some ban-aids (plasters) over 10 or 15 years old that I still use.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
The simple answer is that no one will say that it will be good after the expiry date, and if they do they are liars mate, it could be great for decades, it could become dodgy the day after, its your call:)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yours must be different then. As stated, all ours say sterility guarenteed unless seal is broken. If it has an expiration date, I'd replace it.

Let's face the facts. Manufacturers are out to make money. They are happy if you bin your out of date kit. I have FFDs that were issued to me 20 years ago that are still in my kit. They will work fine for topical applications.

There is good research out there that says even medications can be used out of date.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If a dressing has a coating as in sticky plasters they .... don't stick, field dressings so long as intact should not give a problem. There was some American research on dates used on drugs which showed many lasted years after the sell by/use by and IIRC dressings were mentioned to much the same result. I've got the full report in .PDF format if I can find the blooming thing.

sterile is irrelevant you can only apply a sterile dressing in an operating theater that is clean

if you have a major artery pumping blood to the outside you need to stop it and anything will do even the dog bed in the boot of the car
the hospital will sort out any infection later.

FFD are just a lump of cloth that absorbs so if the cover is intact it should be good to go Ive got some about that i got in cadets in the 80's that where old then when issued

ATB

Duncan

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
hi folks i have always wondered this aswell... i've got 20 or 30 ww2 vintage British shell dressings ,first field dressings, U.S. carlile Battle dressings (in a tin can and in foil wrap) and a lot of the newer British "Joint Services" field dressings from the 1970's...i have opened a few from each of the lot and have found they are as good as the day they were made...mind you none of the outer fabric/rubber covers were ripped or torn and the case apppeared air tight ...on the other hand i have had a lot of U.S. made "troop individual ,field dressings" wrapped in a green plastic wrapper, that i have opened and used for training just to find the tails and gauze pad were dry-rotted and will pull apart when the dressings are applied ...i think for the most part the "out of date,use by date" issue is a legal one so the company who made the product wont get sued if the product fails after the due date...this is what we live with in a sue happy modern world...to this day i still use and carry the above dressings in my Jeep and my out-door kit...vince g. 11B Infantry....

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
hi folks i have always wondered this aswell... i've got 20 or 30 ww2 vintage British shell dressings ,first field dressings, U.S. carlile Battle dressings (in a tin can and in foil wrap) and a lot of the newer British "Joint Services" field dressings from the 1970's...i have opened a few from each of the lot and have found they are as good as the day they were made...mind you none of the outer fabric/rubber covers were ripped or torn and the case apppeared air tight ...on the other hand i have had a lot of U.S. made "troop individual ,field dressings" wrapped in a green plastic wrapper, that i have opened and used for training just to find the tails and gauze pad were dry-rotted and will pull apart when the dressings are applied ...i think for the most part the "out of date,use by date" issue is a legal one so the company who made the product wont get sued if the product fails after the due date...this is what we live with in a sue happy modern world...to this day i still use and carry the above dressings in my Jeep and my out-door kit...vince g. 11B Infantry....

I suspect that when you opened the WWII dresiings you might have spoiled a collector's item worth quite a bit had it been left unopened.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I've always been told to ignore expiry dates on field dressings (both cvilian and military), and any time one needs to be applied in anger to a major wound, the poor individual will very soon be pumped full of antibiotics anyhow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE