Longbow Making.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
It looks like I will be running another longbow making workshop at the July MM Moot and I thought it might be an idea to get some numbers and discuss tools. I shall bring along some ash staves for people to have and my own tool set. It will take place sometime on the sunday morning ( as I will be in the flint workshop on the saturday) so you can work on the bow on and off during the day so you can do and see other things.

Basic Tools Required.
A Saw ( I think most of us have access to one of these...and its only used for initial shaping so dont worry if you havn't)
Your prefered method of bulk wood removal from the following not definitative list.
plane, rasp, draw knife, spoke shave, japanese saw rasp, axe, adze, dreadnaught file, pansar file blade, surform , microplane etc.
Scraper
abrasive papers
abrafile

I have a selection of these available for people to use but depending upon numbers may not have enough of the bulk wood removal tools so if you want to bring your own please do. everything else is only used for small jobs so can be shared. most of the work is done with scraper and wood removal tool.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Depends what else is on on Sunday but I may well be in for this one but as I've already made one longbow I'm happy to make room for people to have their first go

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE