Longbow help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CurtisJohnson

Jun 7, 2012
Durham
I have had this longbow a really long time, and it has had this gap since I bought it. The wood lifted up and left a small gap on the back of the bow. I filled it with wood glue and checked it hadn't ruined the bows tiller, which it hadn't and have fired it ever since without problem. My question is, is this safe to use and are there any other precautions I should take to reduce chances of any other damage?
If anyone could let me know how to upload an image I will show you guys :/

Curtis

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
Hi Curtis

What type of wood is the bow made of?
Is it varnished?
What is the draw length and weight?
If it is not varnished then the old boys used to use bees wax and rub it in, as some woods do tend to split out when slightly damp from the air like on damp days, I think hickory wood can be like that, I know my bows feel a little ruff on damp days and that is the hickory wood.

Hope this helps

Reg
Rum

CurtisJohnson

Jun 7, 2012
Durham
Hi Curtis

What type of wood is the bow made of?
Is it varnished?
What is the draw length and weight?
If it is not varnished then the old boys used to use bees wax and rub it in, as some woods do tend to split out when slightly damp from the air like on damp days, I think hickory wood can be like that, I know my bows feel a little ruff on damp days and that is the hickory wood.

Hope this helps

Reg
Rum

Hi rum,

It's a lemonwood, purple heart and hickory longbow at 38lbs at 29" and I do think it's varnished :/ to be fair, the man I bought it off ( my uncle ) had kept it in a garage for about a year so maybe that's it?

Curtis

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Glue does not like moisture at all which is a real downside of Lam bows.
Picture tells a thousand words but if it isnt getting worse then it "should" be ok,

CurtisJohnson

Jun 7, 2012
Durham
To be honest with you, I'm just gonna keep using it and for £60 pounds (Bargain :) ) I can afford to keep using it and just be careful and have fun. it isn't affecting performance so I'll just use it.
Cheers for the help guys
Curtis

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
Curtis

I would suggest when you have strung the bow take 2 or 3 mints to keep drawing the bow half way to worm it up less lightly to split or were a batsman helmet .
(don't loos the bow with no arrow on the knock, as bow could shatter)

Reg
Rum

gan_pi

Tenderfoot
May 21, 2011
Manchester, UK
I'd agree with mountainm, some backing, perhaps a wrap of some form will mean that when (it is a longbow afterall) it breaks it's less likely to spin around and take your front teeth out. saw that happen at the range when an aly riser broke, the limb to rotated nicely into the gent's face. he lost one tooth and like most head injuries what looked like alot of blood :(

warming up the bow & trying to ensure temperature and humidity don't change too quickly are wise precautions.

till then, happy shooting

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE