Long sleeve top with padded elbows / chest for comfortable crawling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hi
Looking for a new top that is padded on the front for crawling through undergrowth when playing airsoft. My elbows always find rocks and thorns, and a little padding would go a long way.

Something neutral colors or camo prefered, and if possible, something that is waterproof on the front!

Any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks for the advise
Paul

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
buffalo mountain shirt under a combat jacket, seems to work fairly well in real war, so it might just suffice for airsoft!

cheers

stuart

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
5.11 shirts come with internal removable elbow pads - fine for shooting prone with real guns :)

Available in many plain colours such as OG

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Ahem. my advice would be, MAN UP SWEETCHEEKS! or make a shrug out of a issue woolly pully. so you have the arms conected by the shoulder material round the back, all the pading you could want but nice and cool, although not in looks.

Last edited:

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
Ahem. my advice would be, MAN UP SWEETCHEEKS! .
Agreed.

The OG wooly pully is great, and has elbow pads - but can be a bit itchy at the best of times!
Some of the UBACS kit would be ideal for what you are looking for, but a tad hot!
Why dont you sew your own padding onto a garment, as only you know what suits your needs/ restricts your movement. That is why snipers make their own ghillie suits.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm too bloody old for bruises - its also distracting from shooting I find.

Its wiorth noting that 5.11 cargoes also have knee pads (you onlly have to slap your right knee down on a stone a few times for that kneeling shot and find a sharp stone to know what thats's worth).

When I started shooting 25 yard prone thirty odd years ago, new shooters were given "elbow pads" - strapped on pads with the straps in an X shape. The arm was throust through and the straps tightened.

I shoot different disciplines these days, but if going back, I would consider (for cheapness) something like BMX protection worn under loose cargo pants and jacket

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KNEE-ELBOW-AN...DULT-/120580797538?pt=UK_Protective_Equipment

Just a thought

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
How about cutting some of your own using a foam roll mat and some luggage straps, or sew some pokets onto a long sleave teeshirt to slip them into, if you jump down an have a look at how much of you chest is in contact with ground i wouldnt take a big piece to give you some comfort.

I don't think i was giving it to taws6 in the neck, it's a comment made in the vain of the sport.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Of course you weren't mate :) But I bet you have had a quiet whimper after smacking a knee or elbow down!

Is airsoft fun? I assume they shoot paintballs sam as "proper" paintball guns? I used to love paintball years back

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I've often wonder how they scored a hit weather it was bb sized paint balls, or relying on the honesty of the person hit? And i have pretty much shed a tear in spta's flint fields, OUCH!

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Thanks for all your suggestions, I'll have a good search though those and see what'll suit me best.

Airsoft IS GREAT FUN, I've not been playing recently, but yes, it is all based on honesty, if you get hit, you declair it. And if you don't, expect to get hit again, alot, with more accuracy lol!

I have tried, and own numerous elbow & knee pads, but have never found them very comfortable.
The best I have so far is a shin pad sewn to a knee pad that's covered in camo. Kind of looks like riot protection, but works very well and is comfortable too. They do tend to ride down a tad when shuffling along on elbows though, and I always find those thorns & brambles sticking outta my arms if in rough terain!

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I've heard people using the under garments from motocross type stuff
They're padded just like the outer garments but you wear them under a normal smock etc and no-one need know
Comfy to wear too I hear
This comes from some writers for airsoft international mag

Mark

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Some foam mat, velcro'd to the sleeves of your jacket on hte inside and the same with the knees. A thickish jumper or again a foam mat cut to shape for your chest. There's no medals for buggering your elbows and knees up and it will affect you later in life. I wear elbow and knees pads and i'm a tanky!

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I'm totally put off by paintball. They wouldn't let me use a permanent marker as a bayonet for when I run out of ammo.

Extreme Pilgrim

Forager
Aug 27, 2010
UK
I am not a paintballer but I have spent a lot of time on my belt buckle crawling around the undergrowth and the best item of clothing I have used is the British issue sniper smock. If you use that in tandem some padded trousers you will along just fine. There are plenty of pockets for your bits and bobs. I do know that some people use Barbour but then there are cost, weight and heat issues.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE