Long Loch/Palmer Woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

billymitchell90

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2013
Scotland, Dundee
So today I went on a cycle (18 Mile) to mainly check out this place to see if it was ok to camp!
Its called Long Loch and its next to Palmer Woods. Looks absolute great ! while having a little dinner using my new crusader cup I seen a squirrel very close to me just running about it was great I've never really been in that situation before was good to be out and about really enjoyed it!

I wonder though how do I go about asking for permission to camp there? There was a farmers house close by but surely he wouldn't own the loch and the woods? Or maybe he does? There was also a little summer house thing that was there that said Private Land no fishing.. So that is making me wonder a lot also. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys!

IMG_0892.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0895.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0894.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0907.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lovely bit of the world :D

Basically you have a legal right to responsible access, but there are exclusions. The curtiledge of a demense for instance. That's the lands adjacent to someone's home.
If that bit of lochside is someone's garden then it's excluded.

I think it would be courteous to ask. Did you note the address well enough to write to the farmer and ask about contacting him for permission, or for advice on where you could camp nearby that wouldn't cause any bother ?

Anyone who camps near lochs has cleared up the mess left behind by some fishermen :sigh: I know a lot of other fishermen clear up the mess too, but it's given them all a bad name. Maybe that's why the sign.
There are all sorts of weird bye laws on fishing, sometimes you need a rod licence, you aren't allowed to use some equipment (it's a 'sport', not a put dinner in the pot, kind of activity) and so on. Hopefully one of the fishermen here will see the thread and help out.

Cheers,
Toddy

pwb

Looks like a great day out at a lovely spot.

Can't really help as to the ownership of the land but kind of looks like the buildings are meant for entertaining groups, either fishing or shooting maybe...

Good to see you got your mug as well.

Pete.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE