Long hair and the care of - in general and out...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Most people I know who say long hair on men is effeminate are insecure in their own masculinity.

They tend to look at the pictures in tabloids and make offensive remarks trying to convince everyone around them that they are a Bruce and not a Sheila.

Real men don't have to prove it.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Most people I know who say long hair on men is effeminate are insecure in their own masculinity.

They tend to look at the pictures in tabloids and make offensive remarks trying to convince everyone around them that they are a Bruce and not a Sheila.

People who say "Real men don't have to prove it"..... Generalise too much.:p
I think having long hair can be as much a statement about feeling insecure as having short hair. I have short hair now, but twenty years ago, I had long hair. I’ve never thought I was/am more masculine now, than then. Short hair is easy to keep clean, and less hassle to keep neat. For me at least:D

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England

Ooh you saucy monkey ;)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Maybe, just maybe, the length of your hair is just a statement about how long you like your hair.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
For me it was last December. There was no flash of inspiration I just left having a chop for a few weeks over the festive season.

Shortly after the family received an invite to a fancy dress party and it was decided that we go as the Scooby Doo gang and it was decided that I would be best suited to play the role of (a somewhat portly) Shaggy so the hair was left to grow for a few more weeks.

Then it kind of turned into a 'What will it look like if I leave it' challenge and here we are. Some folks think it looks good and others have told me I look a mess.

I suppose it's how the wind blows on any given day :lmao:

As for me I kind of like it for now.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My eldest got fed up sitting in the queue at the barber's a few years ago..............now it's longer than mine. His bother however almost religiously gets it chopped every six weeks......J's is beautiful, and I sometimes wish A would leave his 'til I saw how it looked long too :)

There's not one effeminate bit in J, but men can be beautiful too in their masculinity.
Long hair is somehow 'untamed', 'natural', ..............though I have to confess ZZTop just don't do anything for me :rolleyes: ;)

cheers,
Toddy

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I have a confession to make: I hacked my hair off last week in a fit of pique induced by a brewing accident (for the benefit of any other long-haired home-brewers reading: very long hair does not mix well with mopping up fresh, sticky wort at 80+ degrees C). It's now merely shoulder-length, as opposed to ****-length. And when I say "hacked", I mean "hacked" - with my bushy knife. Did a not-too-bad job of it, too...

I do not feel this has affected my masculinity in either direction. (Whether I have any masculinity to affect is not a question I want to go into... ;)) However, it is a heck of a lot easier to brush in the morning.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
I've been questioning my masculinity regarding hair length too - it's a thorny subject and it's created some divisions at work too. One or two like my new look, but many others clearly don't! (senior managers and the like!) The reason? all over judicious use of a razor followed by a large tube of Veet. I'm loving my new found freedom.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
SNIP: . His bother however almost religiously gets it chopped every six weeks......cheers,
Toddy

6 weeks before a trim :eek: have to do mine every 3 weeks max otherwise it drives me nuts, i have more hair on my chin than i do on my head at the moment, and that lot's getting shaved off later and all.

personally i cannot stand long hair, unless of course it's on a rather nice young lady :rolleyes:

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
It is possible to belong to both camps it seems. The truly beautiful creation that is THE SKULLET :35:

616px-Skullet.jpg

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Oh, if only I still had some photos of me with my extra-long, dreadlocked, 2-inch wide mohican...

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Most people I know who say long hair on men is effeminate are insecure in their own masculinity ... Real men don't have to prove it.

I think it may swing the other way too :)eek:) with men who experience balding, shaving their heads down the the wood in an attempt to retain what they perceive as their masculinity.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE