Long hair and the care of - in general and out...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Ladies and lads,

In recent months I have let my mane grow. At home I have turned to using a spot of shampoo and conditioner rather than the squirt of shower gel I have traditionally used. This coupled with a scrape of Brillcreme generally keeps the mane in check but I'm looking for advice on general maintenance both at home and in the wild.

Any advice is welcome...

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I am 52 with a full head of hair I keep it short for easy management but when it was long it was in dreads hence my other sudo Duppyman so my advice let it grow and leave it otherwise it is vanity taking the rains

Ladies and lads,

In recent months I have let my mane grow. At home I have turned to using a spot of shampoo and conditioner rather than the squirt of shower gel I have traditionally used. This coupled with a scrape of Brillcreme generally keeps the mane in check but I'm looking for advice on general maintenance both at home and in the wild.

Any advice is welcome...

Pay a visit to 'Salon Bodge' and never worry again Matt:lmao: can I book you in for the next middlewood?:D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Don't you ever get even a trim then Gary? I've also decided to not cut my ginger fuse wire hair for a while to see what happens.

Getting no nooky is one of the things that happens! :rolleyes:

mazeman

Forager
Jun 7, 2007
Porthmadog, Gwynedd
Not cut my hair for two years and not used shampoo since last november. Comb it every day and give it a rinse with water and it's fine. The natural oils in your hair are all you need, unlesss you do a dusty, grimy job that is.

Mother Nature :You_Rock_

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
From what I've heard (from my fiancee, who heard it from her teacher while doing Human Biology and numerous online sources) hair will clean itself. However, due to frequent use of shampoo it doesn't for most people, and has to be left without shampoo for approximately six wees before it will begin to - however, the more you shampoo your hair, the longer it will take. The receptionist at the garage I used to work in told me she washed her hair twice a day, so I can imagine it takes some people a very long time. All you really need to do, then, is brush it/comb it (the more hair you have, the more you should do this to make sure that none of your hair is "un-nourished") and give it a rinse of water as Mazeman says. And, as Wayland said, never force dry it, and I'll add never dye it as well.

I've not cut my hair for about three years (my sister made me . . . :eek: ) and I hadn't for about two years before that either. Unfortunately the ends of my hair are in a pretty sorry state so I'll be getting a few inches cut off soon, and after that I might try out the self cleaning thing. If only my job didn't involve customer service :(

Peace!

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
And I just thought of a question, for Mazeman and Boisdevie; do either of you smoke? I do, and I'm concerned that if I allow my hair to start cleaning itself, I'll just stink of cigarette smoke all the time.

As a grumpy old hippy who has had long hair for nearly 30 years...I've found out what works for me.

I am Samson in a funny kind of way, without my hair I feel exposed, lost and I really do feel a need to look after it and keep it . At work it has to be clean and tidy, so when working it is washed every morning with daily shampoo and it dries naturally during my drive to work, it is then carefully brushed and tied back in a pony tail.

When out and about, I try to wash it every two days or so when camping, daily if possible, it makes me feel clean ad if I feel clean, I feel good. It's washed in biodegradable shampoo/or soap in cold water. I also leave it down, it keeps the flies/midgies off in the summer and the cold out in winter:lmao:

I generally don't wash my hair when camping in winter unless I'm away for 3 or 4 days, then I do:eek: but it is head shrinking stuff and for those who have tried it in the cold they'll know what I mean! pmsl.

I have naturally oily lank hair if left unwashed, what helps is keeping it short around the ears or even shaved there, and it also helps to cut the split ends off once or twice a year. It also helps to hot oil your hair a couple of times a year to bring it back as it were.

T tree shampoo is great for the summer...

Now and then I grow a big scary beard and love it, but unfortunately, I really can't keep it at work as I can often look too intimidating when working with vulnerable children.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What Woodsmoke said except the part about the beard bits :D

The funny thing is that the natural stuffs, soapwort, rosepetals, mallowflowers, chestnut leaves, birch buds, etc., all leave my hair feeling every bit as good as the shampoos. I reckon it just needs water and something.............Scots, you know, written into the contract with the Maker; must be rained on twice a day :rolleyes: :D

cheers,
Toddy

mazeman

Forager
Jun 7, 2007
Porthmadog, Gwynedd
And I just thought of a question, for Mazeman and Boisdevie; do either of you smoke? I do, and I'm concerned that if I allow my hair to start cleaning itself, I'll just stink of cigarette smoke all the time.

Don't take this the wrong way... but if you smoke, you do stink of cigarette smoke all the time.

And yes, I do smoke, sometimes.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Just remember to brush it EVERYDAY!
It can get away with being washed once a week, but the more you wash it, the more frequently it becomes greasy, hence you can wind up having to wash it once a day.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Most of the people who I meet who tell me that their hair cleans itself stink.
I don't get close enough to tell if it's the hair that smells.
:lmao: Quality

Bare clippers - no mess - no fuss - no stink - no being mistaken for a big girls blouse! :D :p

There's some tinder for the flames :AR15firin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE