Long Day Out With My Oldest (Photo Heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
This was our first time out together in months, and her next birthday the world will consider her an adult... so I made it as long of a day as I could. A day that started out with coffee around noon and a ride to Snoopers Rock. A day that wound it's way through a mix of photography sessions, fire-crafting practice, toxic plants identification, tasting wild edibles, dinner at one of our favorite restaurants, dessert and coffee at our favorite coffee house, and a night excursion for low light photos to top off the day. Sarah is taking a photography class and had a project to do on landscapes and cityscapes so that's just what we did yesterday. She expected me to cancel out on her because about 8:00 am it started raining and rained for a few hours. I told her we were going anyway and salvage what we could of the day. As it turned out it didn't rain any more after 11:00, and turned out to be a great day out.

We started out the project on Snoopers Rock up at Prentice Cooper.

DSC_5153.jpg

DSC_5131.jpg

DSC_5147.jpg

DSC_5133.jpg

DSC_5139.jpg

DSC_5136.jpg

On the walk back to the truck we stopped because I wanted to see if she could still get a fire started in wet conditions like I had taught her. She did good, I was proud of her.

DSC_5162.jpg

DSC_5171.jpg

DSC_5175.jpg

DSC_5176.jpg

DSC_5184.jpg

DSC_5185.jpg

DSC_5186.jpg

DSC_5187.jpg

DSC_5189.jpg

DSC_5190.jpg

Then she was checking out my machete. Like me, she likes it a lot better than my old Ontario.

DSC_5192.jpg

After that we rode over to a series of fields I like to walk through to check out the scenery. I thought it would be good to get in some plant ID with her while we were out.

DSC_5194.jpg

We found some persimmons. The only ones I could shake out of the tree didn't look the greatest, but didn't taste bad at all to me. Sarah compared them to a mix of pumpkins and bananas...

DSC_5196.jpg

DSC_5201.jpg

We found a good bit of one of the nightshades...I can never remember the name of this one.

DSC_5207.jpg

DSC_5208.jpg

The thorn apples are busting open.

DSC_5214.jpg

DSC_5215.jpg

There were lots of Autumn Olives around.

DSC_5210.jpg

She got to try Ocoee for the first time.

DSC_5220.jpg

DSC_5217.jpg

DSC_5218.jpg

Something had torn into the hornet's nest I found back in the summer, and it looked like it had eaten the larvae.

DSC_5225.jpg

By this time the sun was starting down and we had been out in the chilling damp for hours. We went to Pannera Bread for hot soup (no pics, too busy talking) and then on up to Rembrandt's for coffee and desert and then walked over to the walking bridge for some night shots.

DSC_5231.jpg

DSC_5232.jpg

DSC_5237.jpg

DSC_5242.jpg

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Judging by the look on her face your machette is a gonna, best start looking for a new one now :)
Nice pics, lovely time of year to be out.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Fantastic. Great to see a Dad out with his daughter and see a daughter so tuned in. I drag mine out, they try, but I know they are thinking I am just an anachronism.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Cracking pics Brian

Lovely colours in the valley at this time, what are the trees around there ?

More please :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE