Log burner log advice required...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Hi everyone,
I'm having a log burner installed in a couple of weeks and I need to order some logs.
I was wondering what logs to go for in terms of the best value for money, and I'm also keen to hear what a good price would be for logs...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
All wood gives the same heat by weight when seasoned properly. Hardwood burns longer because it is more dense, softwood more quickly because it is less dense (and before any book read smart alec chimes in, yes, . balsa is a hardwood, I know, I am using the terms used by people who sell firewood).

So volume for volume (e.g by the builders bag) hardwood gives more heat but usually costs more. You are unlikely to be given a choice of tree, but ash and oak are great.

Best choice is to get a wagon, chainsaws and training and go cut up a load of trees and season it yourself

Second best choice is to buy in lorry loads of random trees from tree surgeons and the forestry commission and process them yourself.

The most economic way to run a multfuel burner if you have to pay for seasoned wood is to buy smokeless fuel by the tonne.

If you must buy builders bags of logs, shop around for a local bloke who delivers. £50-£60 for a builders bag (nearly 1m3) is normal. The price for ash wood on that logs for sale site above is beyond stupid. You could buy half a tonne of smokeless for the price of a crate of logs. Thats just daft.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Are wood pellet stoves available in the UK? Canada sells boatloads of the stuff to the Scandinavian countries.
It's a smokeless fire, operating in much the same, forced-air, situation as a blacksmith's forge but enclosed.
A ton (2000lbs) of pellets might produce 5-7 pounds of ash. No carbon, nothing left.

I wasn't prepared to invest the time and energy to bust up a truckload of round wood. Smart local people
all run hydraulic splitters = they do their own then split wood for poor & old folks who can't do any better.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
We use a lot of softwood in ours, but only because I have access to it... and to be fair we use a lot of smokeless fuel simply because you load it up every few hours and leave it be. It knocks some decent heat out as well.

Oh and BR... Balsa is a hardwood :p

*runs*

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Watch out on the size of a builders bag. At 800 mm it's nowhere near a cubic meter. Firewood sellers often use a 1m bag which is a cube. Gumtree or Ebay is helpful or a friendly joiners business for freebies. That burns the best😃

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
We have about 18,000,000ha (36 mega-acres, more or less) standing dead bug wood from the Mountain Pine Beetle epidemic.
Ground up and super-compressed, I'm doing by best to burn my way through it.
I'm heating 2 x 1200 sqft down to -30F, mostly -10 to +20F and snowfalls up to 36" overnight.

Don't yet know this winter's price but it was steady at $240/ton for 6(?) years. I burn 4-5 tons/winter.
Much denser than round wood, a ton is about a m^3 as it arrives as pellets.

I have a central heating system with an oil-fired furnace. By contrast, it costs 2X what the pellet stove costs.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Whatever wood you get, make sure it's DRY.

Not only is wet wood more expensive per ton (you're buying the water as well) it doesn't give out as much heat as dry wood (you're boiling that water, and sending the steam, uselessly, up the flue).

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
You could also top up your supply by making your own papier mache ( spelling ) logs great way of upcycling papier, there's a free YouTube vids out there

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Just for comparison i get my wood from longleat forestry as its about £112 a ton and so i can fill my trailer boot and back seat for about £60 which looks to be about 3-4 cubic metres
and by picking your own and doing by weight you get to choose the best bits
needs a bit of chopping afterwards but thats just a bit of exercise.
and after all a wood shed looks better than an oli tank.

They are doing heatlogs from Aldi from today for £3 a box which is 30p a kilo, as its like the wood pellets at 5% moisture i might get some...

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
We remove trees (with permission) from friends gardens, they're happy enough for us to take it for burning (after storing for a year or so). The moisture meter is a good idea and worth it for checking..

I ask at the hospital I work at for any logs/branches at the estates dept. The first year we had the burner we tried several local places seeing what kind of logs they provided. Oddly enough Edinburgh Zoo had the best deal from their estates dept so it pays to ask around some of the less likely places..

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Many, many, moons ago I used to buy cord's of wood from Charbrough Park Estate. Don't know if they still do it or where in Dorset you're based but maybe worth checking if you're in that neck of the woods.

kaiAnderson

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2013
Liverpool
i find smokeless doesnt burn as hot as wood but burns far longer. i pay bout 300 a tonne. We have a hawthorn forest on our land so every year i process hawthorn to burn next year (a week of chopping and a week of recovering from blood loss).
we also buy seasoned wood from the farm opposite but by the trailer load. bout 130 for a trailer. maybe bout 100 cubic feet. not sure that in meters

i burn smokeless when were not there and smokeless and wood when we are (wood burns with a flame. we use our burner for central heating and water too. we love it but its a pain when you have no hot water or come back from holiday as from cold it takes a fair few hours to start warming teh house (it has to heat the water tank first).

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
That would be illegal, and I'm willing to bet they have rules forbidding it on the site anyway. Wood burners in caravans can be very dangerous.

be interesting to see the law in print that states its illegal.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
That would be illegal, and I'm willing to bet they have rules forbidding it on the site anyway. Wood burners in caravans can be very dangerous.
Individual sites might ban them, but wood burners in caravans are very definitely not illegal, any more than they are illegal in canal boats.

It is important to ensure you have sufficient ventilation - but the same applies in any circumstances where you have flame (whether it is a gas cooker, a solid fuel stove or paraffin lanterns).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE